IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not done any summer hog hunting before. What are some of the techniques? Should I put the kwik fish away and break out the Alvin's? Should I head for deeper colder water? Any advice appreciated as long as it is not telling me to go to Albertsons or the like.

By-the-way this was my first springer season. I have not gotten a fish yet but I still have Saturday(to be an official spring fish). Although, I have taken a few others with me and they ALL have gotten fish. After I set them up using the advice I learned on this board. It's a good thing I realize it is fishing and not catching.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I did pretty good last year with Alvins in 30 to 40 foot of water. It reminded me a lot of fishing for URB's. Matter of fact, on our first trip last year trying it out for the first time we caught two.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I tried them two years ago with no success. Mouth of the Sandy in a hog line. I was out there 4 or 5 times. Kept telling my wife we would be having salmon for dinner. :blush:
Where should someone target at the season opening for a good chance at one of these hawgs?

GU

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I cought two of them my first trip out last year too. But, unlike Chris, I fished them just like springers - kwikfish in 18 feet of water. They ate just like springers - I'm guessing I cought late springers and Chris cought some early Tule bucks. :grin: :grin:

They were both nice fish - one 26 and one 28. Saw several cought that were about that size or bigger so I do believe they are the "June Hogs" that the old timers talk about. I fished for them at Sand Island in front of St. Helens. I'll be back out there again for the opener this year.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
The true June Hogs, or if you are Scandinavian (sp
) Yune Ogs were 50+ lbs... those fish are long gone now :hoboy:

[ 05-29-2003, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

·
Registered
554 Posts
What classifies a salmon as a true "Summer?" How would I determine whether the fish is a late run Springer or a Summer King?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
all chinooks need to be clipped through July 31st.. Begining Aug 1st they become Fall Fish and no longer need to be clipped..

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Originally posted by wetaline:
all chinooks need to be clipped through July 31st.. Begining Aug 1st they become Fall Fish and no longer need to be clipped..
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Yup, ya gotta love the fact that fish go by a calendar just like we do. Do ya suppose they've got some scatttered around on the bottom? :wink: :wink: :wink:

TR

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Ah, the proverpial Yune Ogs, maype not ta real ting anymore, put las year I cot a twenty six pounter. It was as nice as ta one tat cot away. All on ta opening tay, poth cot on rdainpo spinner. Tight lines and pent rdods TOC.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Just troll ******'s spinner prawns. The summer chinook and the steelhead love 'em.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Used to get them pretty good sitting in 14 feet of water with a spinner fishing for steelhead.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
We've hooked these chinook on spinners, small/steelhead size Flatfish, Alvins and bait wrapped Kwikfish in water anywere from seven to 30 feet deep. Just choose a place and method you like and go get 'em.

They have to be fin clipped.

·
Registered
993 Posts
small spinners and anchor in nanooks spot i do he stops yelling after a
while

hey Rick where did you buy that one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts