IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be driving up that direction from Salem, taking my father fishing tomorrow for his 70th birthday, I'd like to get him into one of these Summer chinook or steelies i've been seeing y'all post on here recently.
:bowdown:
I haven't fished that area much, and will have my 15ft 40 hp smokercraft and would like to hit the CR before it gets windy in the morning, then maybe the willy once the wind hits, or if it doesn't, than just stay out on the columbia. I would love any help to increase the chances of him hooking up with a chromer.
Where? size? color? etc. If anyone could email me or post below i'd appreciate it.
my email is:

[email protected]

thank you,

:cheers:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Check your mail. I dont think there is much going on in the Willy right now... :cheers:

N

·
0 Posts
For the rest of you that did not see the secret email, just move to deep water and run Alvins.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Sublime,

Lanching at Chinook Landing (great facility, easy launch), it's a very short hop down river, a mile maybe, to upriver tip of Gov't Island.

Anchor up right where the rocks stop and the beach starts.

I've got them in there recently at about 24 feet on chartruese tipped K-wobblers.

It has been slow though.

Targeting steelhead with spinners might be more productive, 700 Chinook per day vs. 5,000 Steelhead a day.

For the Steelhead, maybe head upriver toward the mouth of the Sandy (about 1 mile) and in shallower water, 15 feet. That was last year's formula for me.

Both areas and transit from Chinook are fairly safe for a small boat even if it starts to blow. Wear your lifejackets.

Maybe some folks here can suggest a better Steelhead strategy for that area. I'll be lurking like a madman for that info <grin>.

Brion

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Hey ****** Sublime sent me an email before he made the post :smile:

Brion dont be afraid to try shallow over half my springers this season came in water 5'-9' deep :shocked: :grin:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
BrionLutz, drop down by us sand hill guys...Fish either small spinners or F7's..X4..X5 We're in about 17 to 22 depending on the flow...there may be a clinic going on down there Thursday and Friday :laugh: ...but i've heard it's been slow :shrug: :tongue: Most down there go 3ft of lead line...4 leader, SUBLIME Ditto to you :smile:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
5-Cents,

Thanks on the shallow...I know...been told time and again but it freaks me out...guess I'm afraid of the shallow end of the pool.

MrDorkFish: I've seen you boys down there...a couple of them were spotting me with binocs when I was pulling in that 31 lber last week <grin>. One guy must have been really eyeballing us...he pulls up to us later and asks if it was a native or not.

Have they been getting Steelhead down there?

I'm a little leery of the whole area because there is so much boat traffic off the beach and the channel.

Last year, I was getting Steelhead up by the Sandy in about 12-15 feet. I should give that spot a try.

I also got one last week up by Camas in about 13 feet with the People's Choice brass blade/red bead spinner.

All fits with what ****** and 5-cents are saying.

Brion

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Brion, I'm still catching Chinook so i'm not in the Steelhead mode...i haven't seen any of the metalheads yet..maybe it's a frame of mind :shrug: If you get there early...you have the whole river to yourself till about 12:00 then the Buzzards start making waves...but i'm usually out by then making sure my catch doesn't cook :shocked:

Maybe see ya !

MrDorkfish

Louis

N

·
0 Posts
Brion, you got 5 Cents of Old Bull advice. <what else do you need - grin>

Move in if you are targeting Steelhead. Then you are fishing for Steelhead and Mr. Salmon also likes that highway on certain days, especially cloudy ones or in the morning and evening.

Downsize in warmer, clearer/shallower water. Switch to guide green beads, half and half blade or gold blade around noon and in direct sunlight.

Just makin' sure you practice what you preach Nickle one. :wink: :smile:

[ 07-22-2003, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5-cent~

Thanks again for your help!

Very much appreciated!

I'll let ya know how we do (with pics)

Sublime

·
Registered
2,425 Posts

] Brion, you got 5 Cents of Old Bull advice. <what else do you need - grin>
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Luck! Though it is my mission in life to reduce the need for luck. I'm budgeting 20 years for the project.

We'll try everything you guys suggested.

Brion

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Thats funny Brion, I hate fishing deeper than 10-12' for steelies!

Whatever blows yer skirt up, I guess.

Mark and the shallow end of the pool dog.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Sublime any news from today? We want to hear good or bad :grin:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
No news is good news?? :shrug: The boy is still up but he says "dad..i can sleep on the boat" :grin: He's finally getting it :dance: I'll make sure we give a report some time tomorrow ...
I'm gonna use the secret lures i made :laugh: I hear the "fishing" has been good. :grin:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Yep...the fishing was reel good :hoboy: It's the catching that was giving me a problem. :shrug: Sumpin just didn't seem right today... Lots of weeds too :rolleyes:

Tomorrow...tomorrow :grin:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I am considering a trip out there this weekend. Are you trolling the spinners or are you working off the anchor?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Anchor, I'm thunkin bout stay'n home tomorrow :depressed: slow...tired :sleep: ...too much to do :shocked:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well....hate to bring the bummer news, but we tried a few spots for steelies and salmon and didn't catch much of anything.

5-Cents~
I tried out of st. helens and hit the salmon hole but to no avail. Marked some fish, down there, but the wind picked up. We then trolled the Lewis for a while with other boats, but didn't do well and didn't see anything caught. Then the wind came up and tossed around my lil boat in those 3 ft white caps. SOooo, i crossed back over to the river and had the BEST FISH AND CHIPS at Fletchers.....you're right, they ARE good :cheers:

So this was about 1 o'clock. We pulled the boat out and drove out 84 towards rooster rock to hunt for calmer water and at least some sturgeon. Here we got into 30-40 shakers, but just none that were over 32 inches. The wind here was practically still, barely any! loved that! But, my dad had a blast with those, and that's all that really counts. =) Thanks again to all of you for your info, it was SOOo greatly appreciated. It's nice to see so many helpful and genuinely nice people on here. Cheers to all of you AND Ifish. Maybe someday, I could catch a ride with ya and see how its REALLY done! :grin:

Well, i guess now i have all the supplies and gear i need for the onslaught of fish that will soon be running up the big river! So at least i'll be prepared, and we'll just consider this last trip a scouting mission. :wink:

Thanks again to everyone, much appreciated!
:bowdown: :bowdown:

[ 07-25-2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Sublime ]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts