IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notes from Liz at NSIA:

Yesterday in Vancouver the States of Oregon and Washington met to set the treaty and non treaty commercial fishing seasons on Summer Chinook.

Two items you need to know:

First, the gillnetters are very unhappy with the 1,500 summer chinook that they were given by the Washington and Oregon Commissions. They testified that they were going to sue, and go to the legislature to take more fish away from the sportfishers. They were particularly angry about the set aside of summer chinook for the upper Columbia. At a N. of Falcon meeting that Dan Parnel and I attended, certain gillnetters blew up and said that the farmers up in Brewster and Pateros Washington don't deserve any of these fish! They want a 50/50 sharing of the non treaty fish, which would shut down the sport fishery below Bonneville, and curtail the sportfishery in the mid and Upper Columbia in Washington.

What is most ridiculous is that about 40-50% of the summer chinook are harvested in the Ocean by commercial fishermen already! Then consider that historically, they were practically fished out of existence by commercial fishing!

Second, on the sport side, the states have opened a full retention sport fishery on summer chinook. You will recall that all the major sport groups pounded on the departments to have the summer chinook fishery selective. They tell us that we may catch all of our 1,500 fish before the run update, and the summer chinook fishery will close. This is based on the fact that in the fishery from June 1-11 (which is counted as springers, even though they are mostly summers in the river) there have been 8,700 angler trips that have handled 1,970 chinook. 800 of them have been hatchery fish.

Amazingly, that is nearly eleven angler trips per kept fish! And the fishery is going strong!

If we keep the wild fish, this fishery could close in less than two weeks.

So folks have asked, when we can get 11 angler trips out of one kept hatchery fish, why are we killing wild fish? Why are we gillnetting at all when the treaty tribes will be selling summer chinook, and the ocean troll has already harvested a large percentage of these fish?

·
Registered
825 Posts
So folks have asked, when we can get 11 angler trips out of one kept hatchery fish, why are we killing wild fish?
Why would I want to make 11 trips to keep a clipped one when I might have the chance of catching one (fin or not). I can't afford to make that many trips.

"Why are we gillnetting at all when the treaty tribes will be selling summer chinook, and the ocean troll has already harvested a large percentage of these fish?"

I've seen the tribes try to sell those summers and they might as well be summer tules the way they take care of them.

I thought that the commercial trollers caught fall chinook vs. summers?

·
Registered
16,805 Posts
"Why are we gillnetting at all when the treaty tribes will be selling summer chinook, and the ocean troll has already harvested a large percentage of these fish?"
Indeed. The gillnetters frame the issue like they are the ONLY commercial harvest, when in fact, these Summer Chinook are being sequentially commercially harvested at sea and by the Tribes.

Now, when Summer Chinook are finally in the Columbia and accessible to the general license-buying sportfishers, both bankies and small boats, the gillnetters want to crowd in here to.

Not to mention all the other salmon coming onto the market from the BC and Alaskan off-shore fisheries too.

Creating a new gillnetting season on top of the existing ocean troll and Tribal harvests is just plain nuts. :sick:

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
Amazingly, that is nearly eleven angler trips per kept fish! And the fishery is going strong!

That's a lot of money going into the local economey, eleven trips for one fish, and yet they keep going.
When will ODF&W wakeup and smell the coffee?
We need to maximize the economic benifit of our salmon runs, while still exercising recovery measures.
Gill nets don't recover salmon runs, they wipe them out.

salmon hugger

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
What a bunch of greedy gillnetters. Just shows we need somebody in the media to show the general public what is really happening in this state. They say they are providing Oregonians with fish but they are lining their own pockets. It makes me sick.

I have often wondered if the numbers they say the netters have caught are accurate. Without observers how can they be sure. I am sure alot of commercial salmon are under the table or sold to "friends". :hoboy:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I usually stay away from these posts that run commercial and net guys in the ground but I would like to point out one simple fact.

What is most ridiculous is that about 40-50% of the summer chinook are harvested in the Ocean by commercial fishermen already!
The commercial guys took a huge loss this year out in the ocean for chinook, huge. They were given a few crumbs, just enough so a relief check would be out of the question. I really feel bad for these guys, it's their job.

Put away the torches and ropes for a few minutes and enjoy the summer nook fishing while you can. There will be plenty of time come winter to light the torches and hang the commercials :hoboy:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
What is really sad is the idea that the gillnetters want more of the summer fish and most are fishing in Alaska as was pointed out to OFWD at the meeting they held on the split. They can sue OFWD if they want but the upriver 7,000 fish were alotted by WDFW not OFWD

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
Tacklebuster.... I don't feel bad for those guys at all. Don't believe me? Look no further than to Florida. Commercial fishing nearly decimated the fish in Florida. So, they essentially closed all commercial fishing down in the entire state. Now, amazing as it is, Florida in the #1 sport fishing state in the country with over 6 billion a year brought into the economy, with completly recovered (or close to) fish populations... Now, would you be willing to give up a few hundred commercial fishing jobs (lets face it, probably not their main source of income anyways) to bring in 6 billion a year to the economy??? That's a no brainer to me!! Commercial salmon fishing on the CR should be shut down....

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Well now lets look back a few weeks and see that the nets took too many fish :shrug: Now they want to [whoopsydaisies!] and moan again it is amazing. If is that bad then sell your boat and get a sports license and get out there with the rest of us that go and make a living and try to go out and catch a few fish for ourselves. Quit your whining and get a job that you can support your familys with if you are not happy with what you are already taking from the rest of us. If my bussines slows down and I can not take care of my family then I have to find something else to do. Why dont the netters do the same :argue: Go and find a job that you can support yourself with.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Well now lets look back a few weeks and see that the nets took too many fish :shrug: Now they want to [whoopsydaisies!] and moan again it is amazing. If is that bad then sell your boat and get a sports license and get out there with the rest of us that go and make a living and try to go out and catch a few fish for ourselves. Quit your whining and get a job that you can support your familys with if you are not happy with what you are already taking from the rest of us. If my bussines slows down and I can not take care of my family then I have to find something else to do. Why dont the netters do the same :argue: Go and find a job that you can support yourself with.
your welcome on my boat anytime, my job got outsourced and i`m still around, these gillnetters cost the economy way to much money, they would make any story thats ever been done on "the fleecing of america" look like a road side kool aid stand.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Sometimes I cant help myself :shrug:

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
your welcome on my boat anytime, my job got outsourced and i`m still around, these gillnetters cost the economy way to much money, they would make any story thats ever been done on "the fleecing of america" look like a road side kool aid stand.
Boater, I must apologize for my comments toward you on another thread. You do have a brain. :cheers:

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
I've had my ups and downs with Boater, but I'd give him a thumbs up :cheers:

salmon hugger

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
...certain gillnetters blew up and said that the farmers up in Brewster and Pateros Washington don't deserve any of these fish !
Pretty much said it all for me. :hoboy: I guess it's Salmon for All except the farmers in Brewster and Pateros.

"Any fish that does not die in a net is a fish wasted." Epitaph of a gillnetter.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Commercial salmon fishing on the CR should be shut down....
I'm not talking about commercial fishing on the Cr, I am talking about out on the ocean. The original thread blamed the closure on commercial fishing out in the ocean catching a bunch of the fish. These guys hardly even had a season this year.

You guys can debate the fact all you want but more usefull energy burned would be out on the river trying to actually fish for one :idea:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts