IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Husker,

You asked about tips for fishing for Summer Chinook around the mouth of the Sandy.

Hopefully someone with some expertise will answer.

Last year I did OK early with spinners in 12-16 feet of water.

I was up there trolling around today. I saw one fish caught and that was by someone fishing in the fleet of Shad fishermen near the entrance to the Washougal.

Anybody else have any tips for Husker (and me)?

Brion

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Actually the Summer Chinook seem to fish a bit differently than the Fall Chinook. The caveat being that last year was the first Summer Chinook season for most folks and this is only my 2nd year fishing the Columbia.

Shallower water. We'd fish the Summers in 20 foot range and the Falls in about 30-40 foot range.

Wobblers in fall, spinners in summer.

Not sure where the bait (ugh) wrapped KwikFish fit in...Fall I'd guess.

The fish I saw caught today up near Camas was in about 15 feet of water.

I've got a gizmo that measures light, temp and water speed. What was interesting is that the water temp was not that different going down 40 feet...stayed about 62 degrees.

Light changed dramatically, about 20 feet and it's down to 25% of the light.

Current/water speed was all over the map.

With water temp being fairly constant, I wonder if the fish are going to by the light level for what depth they are running?

Brion

G

·
" The caveat being that last year was the first Summer Chinook season for most folks and this is only my 2nd year fishing the Columbia. "

Uncle. Defer to experts. :rolleyes:

[ 06-16-2003, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
:wink:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
What you saw caught was actually a Carp. There are no Salmon left. The timber industry killed them all!

:laugh:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
We had great success last year trolling Dick Nites...just remember to swith the hooks out with #6 trebles. Sharpen them up real good, too, and hang on.

Go get 'em!!

Mark

·
Registered
522 Posts
FM
dick nites, what size dick nites? Some are a lot bigger then the ones we use for shad. More help please FM, if you can add to that a little. Also how deep and do you use a diver or weight?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I hit em last year on wobblers.. Alvin/brads.. scented up good. I also nailed a couple on a flo red hot shot........four foot on the lead and leader....dont forget the sun tan lotion....
:grin:
K9

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Why did he ask this question? Oh so we could all see that he already knew what he was doing. Now I get it. Almost went right over my head.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Originally posted by BrionLutz:

Actually the Summer Chinook seem to fish a bit differently than the Fall Chinook. The caveat being that last year was the first Summer Chinook season for most folks and this is only my 2nd year fishing the Columbia.

<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">BL,
Depth may be the only difference but I have caught them with Spinners, Spin-glos, Flatfish, Herring, Alvins...etc. from 20' to 40' in depth.

Yes this is only the 2nd year you could retain a summer in the Columbia and your 2nd as well but many of us have fished them for years. Catch and Release while fishing for metalheads has been a great pleasure. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
i would like to thank all who responded so positively. but the dick nites with the #6 treble hook sharpened reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaall good was the best idea i have ever heard so heres you FM...
:grin:

G

·
Ron,

Look familiar from above?

"Fish the same way you fish for any Salmon.
"

Just find the highway. :wink:

Best to you and Son.

Rick

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
You guys laugh about the dick nite. Try a really small one, like the 1 inch size, trolling for silvers, behind a size 20 jetdiver. Haven't ever gotten a chinook on one, but haven't really tried in that season yet.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Llabwolg,

Why did he ask this question? Oh so we could all see that he already knew what he was doing. Now I get it. Almost went right over my head.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Husker asked for some tips on fishing for Summer Chinook in the Camas area. He was going fishing with his kid.

If you don't want to give him any info, then don't but stop bugging folks who like to fish with sharing what they know about fishing on a fishing bulletin board.

Brion

1 - 20 of 26 Posts