IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told by many people Steelhead do not like cures with sulfite in them.Have any of you been able to prove this one way or another?I just put up a bunch of eggs with a heavy sulfite homemade cure and don't want to waste them if they don't work on Steelhead.It is a great Salmon cure,but I have always just used the borax,sugar,jello for Ironheads which I also have, but wanted some info from all of you professional field testers.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I'm a borax believer myself. I've caught fish with sulfite cures but they don't seem to hang on as long and with my lightening fast reflexes I need all the help I can get.....

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Recently I have been playing with artic shrimp. I put them in jars and mix with diffrent sents.Ive used balls of fire,anise,shrimp,and crave the only one I didnt get hits with is Crave. All the others have seemed to work well,I'm not sure if its the bait or if the bite has turned back on but since I started this and the line change I have caught a bunch of steelies on the Santiam. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
If pro cure is one of the sulfite cures, all I can say is that it doesn't scare them away. Had one day with 12 fish on them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My experience for steelhead has been MUCH better on cures w/o sulfites. I just use borax, sugar and salt and sometimes bait coloring for steelies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts