IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on one man pontoon boats?I was thinking about purchasing one and was wondering which one would be the best. :shrug: i do not wanna spend more than $300 on it and was looking for any suggestions~ I will be fishing the north santiam and some lakes. thanks

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hey,
I have a Bucks Bags Bronco (the boat I have is now the South Fork, the Bronco has been upgraded). Get a South Fork. I have run class 3 rapids while fighting a 3lb rainbow. It is a sweet boat, easy to handle, and handles flat and moving water. Spend the extra money and get a boat that will grow with you. Once you get it, bring it over to Idaho, and we'll do a floatilla! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
$300 won't get you far in the 'toon market. if you're serious, consider upgrading your budget before you do too much shopping. hit the archives here for info; there's plenty of good 'toon info in there. don't buy something you plan to sell and upgrade later; you'll lose at least half your money when you go to sell it. for the most part, they come as packages. it would be nice if you could get a starter and at a later time upgrade the toons, then upgrade the frame down the road, but it doesn't work like that.

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
I have a guy that I work with that is getting ready to sell two 9' Orvis pontoon boats. I was going to put them in the ifish classifieds for him as soon as he gets the pictures to me.

What I do know is that they have only been used one time and that was on Lake Oswego. Both boats have 9' pontoons, powder coated frames. Purchased new both of these boats were around a $1000.00 each and were purchased from the Orvis dealer in Lake Oswego when they were still in business.

Check out the Orvis web site and you will probably get a basic description.

He will consider offers !!! Wants them out of the garage.

Send me a private e-mail with a contact number and I'll have him get hold of you if your interested.

Pearl

·
Registered
566 Posts
We got the "Cadillac of pontoon boats" (an 8' Outcast brand boat) and have been pleased with it.

Yea, we're talking $800 - $1,100 depending upon what options you put on it, but that's about the most cost-effective boat (next to a $200 float-tube) that you can buy.

[ 07-05-2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: DaleDor ]

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a $400 fish cat. My wife got it for me as a Chistmas gift,she said it was all she could afford! I have used it quite a bit on the upper trask, lost 3, landed 15 springers this year. I think if she wouldn't of been so cheap and spent a couple hundred more I wouldn't of lost those 3 fish. She got it at Fishermans marine in portland.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I just bought an 8' Outcast 'toon from Sportsman's Warehouse. FISH CAT actually makes the boats, but specifically for S.W. It cost me $400.00 out the door and that's with my pole holder, oar rights, anchor, anchor rope, and the whole 9 yards! The boat itself is only $310.00 but they're no cheap made model. They have a 7', 8', or 9'. I'd give them a try if you can't find anything elsewhere. If you have any other ?'s, e-mail me and i'd be happy to tell ya about it.

Aaron

·
Registered
657 Posts
DaleDor, you may have the Cadillacs of pontoon boats, but I run the HumVees of the cataraft world (Steelheaders) :grin: :wink: Just a bit more then the outcast listed, and twice the boat.

But, lots of stuff in the archives. Just look and you'll see. But what ampersat said was right (think it was him). You buy cheap now, you'll want to upgrade later.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I bought one of the Outcast 8' models last fall when they were on sale for 249.00. I have made 3 trips down the N. Santiam in it this summer. The back of my seat broke on the 3rd trip. The 8' models do not track the best and seem to be a lot of work to avoid rocks and stuff. Lots of fun when the water is warm. As you will get wet on those low riders. I have now bought a new 12'6" Sotar Cat with 20" tubes and a nice frame with dry box, cooler and a seat for my wife to join me with during the summer fun. It will be here by the end of July. They are made in Merlin, Or. , and are a well respected product.
My advice IMHO is save your money and go for a quality experience.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got an ODC from GI Joes, 9 ft. pontoons and have had good luck with it, handles well and can take some pretty tough water, they have them for around 249$

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
I have two 8' Dave Scadden pontoons for sale in the ifish classifieds. Check em out. Good deal!

·
Registered
740 Posts
I bought a Water Skeeter a couple years ago for about $300. It didn't have any features though. I installed an anchor system and made the storage deck on the back much larger. It is now capable of holding all my rods, tackle, and extra gear yet keeping weight and balance in check.

The only issue I had with the Water Skeeter is it was not effective as a drift boat while salmon/steelhead fishing in rivers. I like to pull plugs and drift fish from a boat.....the Water Skeeter made it tough. If I were to buy another pontoon, I would buy one I could stand up in.

I felt very safe in it though. I've done the entire NF Santaim and most of the north coast rivers without any issues. They are great for low water drifting in the summer!

Spend some money and get a good one like Outcast. Outcast also has a good warranty.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I bot a Caddis 9 pontoon boat at BIMART. The boat cost me $279.99 out the door. I did alot of searching before buying it. Made two trips down the N. Umpqua and it handles extremely well. A buddy just bot one after looking at mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You folks should seriously think of going to Andy @Bax at 324 se grand portland or They are the NW rafting headquarters they pontoons from 10' long to 18' long and varying diameters from12 to 24 inches.They have many frame options and can order all types of fishing frames.I have four one man and 1 14 footer for family rafting camping and pulling plugs in winter.Remember the larger diameter tube the less drag you have and the least effort to row.MY BIG BOAT IS BETTER EVEN ALONE!!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts