IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Remember pot size is important the regs used to say maximum diameter was 30" but now its listed as 13 cubic feet. I'll bet no one gets checked for pot size with that regulation, WDFW would go nuts determining the size on a octagon shaped pot, and one could argue the bait box is not part of the volume.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not to derail. A guy told me to try Charlie Blood "B" Catfish Dough to the scent container in my pots for better scent trail and catch success. Anyone ever feel the need go there?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I know you have made your decision but I want to give a shout out to Lester’s in Oregon City. Have an idea or something specific, he may make it exactly as you want.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have all of the above mentioned, Proto, Danielsons, Fish On John in salem, the Fishfields, and MSI from Sportsmans, and guess what, THEY ALL CATCH CRAB. The Danielsons are good for non ocean, mine are getting a bit floppy, good ol zip ties to the rescue, the other do good in the ocean. Bait works the best, I've tested pellets, juice, shad, chicken, salmon and tuna heads, meat of any kind work the best. I still have one Danielson still in the plastic from one the black friday specials from years ago, like 10.00. Good luck

·
Registered
Stergeon, Lingcod & Rockfish, Salmon, Steelhead, Walleye, Trout, Crappie
9 Posts
If just trying it again, I would buy a couple Danielsons. $25 or less, plus rigging. They out fish most pots on a short soak and then go to better pots if staying crabbing.
Where can I purchase the Danielsons Crab traps that you referring to for $25 (or less), please? And, which model? Are they the Collapsible with the top hatch, or is more of a crab jaw style trap???

I found Danielson Deluxe Folding Crab Trap #FTC-DELUX on Fisherman's Marine for $39.99 (out of stock).

And, Danielson Folding Crab Trap #FTC for $29.99

Danielson Crab Trap Float Set & Leadcore Rope #CTFLRH50 for $54.99

I'm not sure which Danielson design to get - any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Where can I purchase the Danielsons Crab traps that you referring to for $25 (or less), please? And, which model? Are they the Collapsible with the top hatch, or is more of a crab jaw style trap???
Danielsons on sale at fisherman's tomorrow $16.99

I wouldn't recommend the type with the top hatch I have one and it's not very durable compared to the standard Danielsons

Reactions: MattPark

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Danielsons on sale at fisherman's tomorrow $16.99

I wouldn't recommend the type with the top hatch I have one and it's not very durable compared to the standard Danielsons
I’m not fond of that top hatch model either after only a couple of uses. But need to use it more and keep track of data. I think the doors are too wide on it. Crabs can leave as new ones come in. I like the top hatch for sure though.
worse case, I can add some wire to make the opening a little smaller.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I’m not familiar with the top hatch model, just the side opening trap. Can someone provide some examples?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Remember that if you get those cheap Danielson's it'll still cost about 40 bucks per pot for leaded rope and buoys. Some friends gave me 3 of them for my birthday one year. I didn't realize at the time that I'd be spending 150 bucks just to be able to use them.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Remember that if you get those cheap Danielson's it'll still cost about 40 bucks per pot for leaded rope and buoys. Some friends gave me 3 of them for my birthday one year. I didn't realize at the time that I'd be spending 150 bucks just to be able to use them.
True, but money spent on rope, buoys, bait bag is the same no matter what trap you buy. More if you do the flags for the buoys. Worth the investment for the flags.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts