IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of trying crabbing again after a five year hiatus. All our gear was stolen out of my boat down at Winchester back then and I have had little desire to get new ones.
Recommendations for quality gear please!!
Thank you!!馃榾

Registered
Tillamook Sporting Goods has them at cost. Good selection as well.

Reactions: AKPakrat

Registered
I just went through this purchase myself. Needed another because...Well...You can't ever have enough.
I ended up going with the three tunnel 30lb from fish field. Living inland there aren't a lot of local shopping options so I had to ship and they only charged me $15 for an oversize fee. Even with shipping it's still cheaper than most options out there.
Haven't had a chance to dunk it yet but the construction and design are good. I went with it because it's a bit heavier and I crab in the San Juans a fair amount with more tidal movement. Plus it has three tunnels.

Registered
If just trying it again, I would buy a couple Danielsons. $25 or less, plus rigging. They out fish most pots on a short soak and then go to better pots if staying crabbing.
Yep. Pulled hundreds out of the ocean and the bays with three Danielsons. Look for the ones with the top hatch.
No big ouch if one gets away.

Registered
I am always on the lookout on Craigslist for used Protoco gear (they're blue vinyl dipped with fluorescent orange bridles and bait cages) and can usually find good examples for half the price of retail (or less, depending on the deal). 100% of my gear is now Protoco, used, and probably averages 10 years old. I've sold off all of the other mis-matched gear I'd acquired over the years.

I ordinarily crab in bays and continuously work my gear, so I use 100% slip rings. Protoco also makes (or did, I believe) 2, 3 and 4 door pots if that's the way you prefer to crab.

Registered
Agree above with the cheap Danielson's. Add weight to the bottom and doors and they catch just as good as the expensive ones. I crab in the San Juan's every season and have only lost one over the years. It was found and recovered by WDFW and I got it back! A glob of kelp or something must have snagged and dragged it. Probably the same also would have happened to an expensive commercial style pot.

Registered
Those commercial pots are a lot more work pulling than the lighter weigh version, but the tunnel entry keeps those crabs in the pot much better.

I thought about getting rid of my heavy weight pots and buying the lighter weight jobs, but after buying one light weight one, and using it side by side with the commercial style, i hung onto the heavy pots. More crab per pot every time. 2 cents worth... Kirk

Registered
I have a mix of 3 EZ Pull pots, formerly made in Illwaco WA and 3 Fish On John pots. I like the FOJ pots I tad better, as they are made heavy and don't need weights added. They seem pretty durable, and are covered if they break by FOJ. I also like my EZ Pull pots. They are the OG octagon pots. Really, any pot will catch crabs fine if you know how to work them and set them up. Danielson pots will do the trick almost as well. I like the ramped pots more, as they will hold ALOT of crab. More than Danielson, by a good margin.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts