IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stylin\' Sealions

Don't look now, but the sealions are pickin' up some style. Piercing and body decoration has become the new thing among happenin' sea mammals. Check it out...

Anyone that want's to claim the plug can go talk to Herschel, below Kalama.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Re: Stylin\' Sealions

I know they are a real nuisance, but come on! I don't think anybody out there would want to see their dog spending the next month with a quickie hanging off the side of the head. No animal should have to suffer. I do hope that one particular sea lion will learn from this.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

Ouch- that hurts! :shocked:

I'll bet somebody is Still talking about "the big one that got away" :grin:

·
Registered
869 Posts

I agree Miss B Haven....that's the first thing I thought....what a fight that was.....oh, I've got something...man my line is running...oh, no, that's the end of my line......the knot came undone...it's gone! (time lapse 6.3 seconds) My Diver, Kwikfish and $40 worth of braided bla bla bla is gone!

·
Registered
869 Posts

I bet Herschel had a heck of a time untying all that tackle....the hooks were a big much to just yank out!! :whazzup:

·
Registered
3,978 Posts

I would bet by the end of the salmon season Herschel will have more than one new peircing.

·
Registered
539 Posts

plugcut...Does that look like your missing favorite lure? If you look real close you can see a 4-oz cannon-ball size knot on Herschels head :smile:

·
Registered
532 Posts

thats a very sad picture.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

Not only is it a sad picture but it is just the sort of incident that could lead to measures to prevent future occurrences. There are a lot of seal lovers out there. And PETAphiles.

Don't laugh. A few years ago the USF&WS was seriously considering banning use of lead weights under 8 oz. for fishing in areas where endangered birds, like eagles, occur due to the possiblilty of them ingesting smaller lead weights lost while fishing.

Lets see....how about "no multiple hooks" or "no hooks other than cheap, narrow-gauge pre-rusted bare steel" wherever seals/sealions may be found, etc. etc.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts

Fellas, don't give those who oppose fishing any ammo.
This is just the type of information that could hurt our sport. I know that the Sea Lions are getting very bold and that it is frusterating but these pics would gain a lot of very negative publicity. Not everybody fishes....
Now a personal scrap book is another matter...

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Easy, boys. This seal got pierced like this because he pursued a fish on a line, and the plug got stuck in him during the tussle. Nobody did it on purpose.

[ 04-10-2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Silver Hilton ]

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

Originally posted by Silver Hilton:
Easy, boys. This seal got pierced like this because he pursued a fish on a line, and the plug got stuck in him during the tussle. Nobody did it on purpose.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Yeah, I know. But I can just hear some PETAphile arguing that we KNOW a certain percentage of hooked fish will be taken by seals (13% was it?) and a certain percentage of those incidents result in foul-hooked pinnipeds, all of which suffer and some may eventually die from their injuries. And the MMPA prohibits any harassment or injury etc, blah, blah, blah. What's the solution? Guess. :depressed: :wink:

[ 04-10-2003, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: GutshotApe ]

·
Registered
480 Posts

The people on this board all know how the plug ended up in Mr Seals jaw. The point is that the general public doesn't know. And more importantly, some very vocal people (such as PETA) know but don't care - to them it is just a great picture to show how cruel fishing is, not only to the fish but to that poor seal who wasn't doing anything to anyone.

Perception is reality - just like we would like the public to perceive gillnetting as the evil killer it is there are people out there who want the public to perceive salmon fishing as wrong. Lets try not to help them.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts

I agree with GBskunk on this one. They should not suffer this way. That being said I'm all for putting him out of his misery!! :grin: :cheers: Talk about wearing the proof of your crimes. :laugh:

tc

·
Registered
6,569 Posts

Still, it might be better if these pics weren't online. The animal rights freaks may have already downloaded and ordered the billboard. :depressed:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Cool Pic! That's pretty funny. Thanks for sharing Silver Hilton.

Hey guys lighten up. If this picture is too upsetting to you just look over at the dead seal in the gillnet thread and remember who the bad guys really are. This brute isn't going to die from this.

On the other hand, if you want any political action to come of this, why don't you combine the two threads (subjects) and make a case for trying to keep these animals closer to the salt? If that doesn't fly, then you can say "Fine, we'll put single siwash on our kwikfish if you keep the nets in the salt."

There are a lot of factors here, and I don't think the sportfishers would take the brunt of any change (if any).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts