IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
21,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking some out-of-town friends on a morning C&R trip Tuesday. One has to be at the airport at noon...I don't think that's enough time to head up the gorge, but can and just cut down the fishing time.
Or...Does anyone know any sturgeon holes out of the 42nd st. ramp? Chinook? :shrug:
We may end up in the lower Willamette and Kelly Point.
Thanks!

· Registered
5,159 Posts
Hey Bill My buddies did well about half a mile down river from the head of the channel on the west side of the Willamette.They fished water from 35 to 45 feet with Squid,smelt and worms.Lots of shakers and two Keepers size.
Tight lines.

RR.

· Registered
5,838 Posts
Bill...Make sure you've got the outgoing tide, it's not too fun blowing sideways or back up-stream when there's no current. I haven't been out for a couple of weeks, but last time out we found a bunch of shakers and a few near keepers in the lower Willamette, Kelly Point and below area.

Smj

· Premium Member
21,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...I wish I could pay attention to the tide, but I'm stuck...he's gotta be on a plane at 2. With all the rain, won't there be some current in the Willamette?

· Registered
5,838 Posts
Dunno Bill, I usualy look at the chart for the Coulumbia river level and look at the forecast for the day I'm going. It will show the tides and give you a basic idea of when the outgoing will be.

Smj

· Registered
223 Posts
Bill

I was in your shoes last week, meaning had to be off the water by noon. My advise is to be at the fishery by 6am. and fish below the dam. saturday we had our limit by 9am. You also have a chance to put them on an oversized fish as well or at least see a number of oversized jumping out of the water. your friend will have more action in three hours of fishing then just having them fish longer ,closer to PDX. besides you get a chance to do want i have always wanted to do, drop a guy at the airport , wet , in waders, with only 15 minutes to catch his plane, wouldnt you want to watch that strip search. mark

· Registered
4,230 Posts
Bill, out of Chinook go up to stream to the powerlines area and fish the Wash. side near a rock point, down towards a pipe that comes out the ground, although it could be covered with water. This area is from 40-70'. I've caught lots of fish there and some keepers. Shane

· Registered
646 Posts
Last Saturday the current required 24 oz in some spots, 14 oz in other areas. It's best to have an assortment from 10-32 oz. I'd also recommend using a milk jug with downrigger clip to get your baits further out from the boat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.