IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out just before low tide this afternoon, so no salmon. But I did catch a nice 47" gator on the incoming tide (about 15 minutes after I dropped the hook)! I'm new to Ifish, so I don't know how to get the photos from my digi-cam to your screen. You'll just have to take my word that it was a fun one on my 30# salmon rod.

Is sturgeon good on the barbeque? In the past, we have smoked it, fried it (in corn/beer batter), and I found a recipe for boiling it in sugar water and dipping in garlic butter that I want to try.

The filets came out so nice, I am tempted to marinade them in Yo's sauce and throw them on the grill. Anyone tried it?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Is sturgeon good on the barbeque?

Thats a HOOT!!! Dang right my man. Wife bastes it with some melted butter, parsley, garlic powder and ??? other spices that we like. Just don't over cook it. Did that once and the stuff turned into rubber. Enjoy, it is one of my favorites. I'm not certain, but I think The Guides Forecast has recipes you can purchase for a nominal fee that will be sent to you electronically. Give their web site a look.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I have tried the grill and its fantastic!! :dance:
Slather in extra virgin olive oil, and season with kosher salt liberally on both sides, let set an hr or so. then place on preheated BBQ, on med, heat. After 2 mins turn and squezze the juice from half a lime on each piece (approx 3" by 4" servings) and keep turning every 3 to 5 mins after, basting with the juice from 1/2 a lime. serve with Grilled Asparagus that has also had olive oil drizzled on it, peeled to expose light colored flesh inside, and the lime juice as well while grilling.
Enjoy!!! I have had numerous complements from this meal!! Try slicing whole tomatoes as well and grill open flesh up, with olive oil and johnny's on them..3 to 5 mins each. then shave, or grate fresh parmasean onto them and let melt. Serve imediately.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Chunk it up marinade in creamy Italion dressing an do on a bbq fry pan(kinda like a cookie sheet with holes)do my tuna the same way mmm mmm

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Beefcake-

If I can give you one piece of advice, it is don't boil it in 7-up... they say it is like a poor man's lobster. That man must of not only been poor, but lost his sense of taste while licking a hot exhaust pipe. It tasted like butt, and not the halibut kind!!!!

My 6-year old who loves fish started to cry when we had her eat it...

Rip'N'Lips

[ 09-15-2003, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Rip'N'Lips ]

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Cube it or slice it into taco size pieces, marinade it in balsamic italian dressing, quick saute in a hot non-stick pan (do not overcook per KT) and use it for sturgeon tacos. Prepare a homemade salsa, cucumber sauce and a little slaw or lettuce, hot corn tortillas, refried beans and you've got it. Can't buy that meal anywhere.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Sturgeon piccata. The classic piccata sauce over a broiled piece of sturgeon. Delicious and easy. for those who don't know what a piccatta sauce is:
Lemon juice, white wine, capers, black pepper.
heat to a boil, add thick cold cornstarch liquide till it thicked to sauce conistancy.
It's a good dish I serv often an get no complaints.
GBS

[ 09-15-2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Here's a simple BBQ recipe that I've received numerous thank-you emails from ifishers for sharing.

Use a whole fillet - rub lemon juice on one both sides and season with celery salt, garlic salt, and Johnny's or Lowry's seasoning salt.

BBQ for about 5 minutes directly on the grill (sturgeon is a real hardy fish and won't break up on the grill). Flip it over, BBQ for about 3 minutes and then spoon good Blue cheese dressing over the top (like Maries or Lighthouse), and then close up the grill about another 4-5 minutes until the dressing is light brown and bubbly.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
My favorite sauce for Sturg. Good for tuna too.. Quick, easy and very very good

measurements are approx.

1/4 cup olive oil in med/large sauce/fry pan
saute about half a large onion, fairly large slices

add about 1/4 cup brown sugar, bubble till carmilized

add 1/4 to 1/2 cup good balsmic vinagar, let bubble to reduce and kinda thicken.

Just before serving add 1/2 or more cup fresh spinich leaves cut in 1/2 or thirds, cook for a minute or two.

Pour over the cooked fish and serve

This is major good stuff...............Enjoy FB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts