IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that most of the posts concerning estuary sturgeon are centered around the Tongue Point/Hammond area. I have not seen any mention of fishing areas on the Washington side. I would think there's some good fishing around the Gray's Harbor area.

Can someone point me in the direction of places to launch and target?
I don't want to launch somewhere like Cathlamet and make a long run to the other side in case the weather turns snotty.

If I'm fishing the mainstem Columbia can I launch from an Oregon launch with my Washington license? Or do I need an Oregon license to land my boat with fish in it in Oregon? :whazzup:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
You only need an Oregon license if you will be fishing in Oregon rivers. The columbia is a bi-fisheries I belive it is called and you can fish in the river with either license.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Launch at deep river. Watch the markers as you come out of the river. Hopefully someone else will be heading out and you can follow them. Once you leave the river don't go for it, stay along the wa side for awhile. Check your chart and you will be able to see when you can leave the markers.
Good luck.
Might see ya down there if you go Thursday.
Glow

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you give me directions to the launch at Deep River? I can't find it on any of my maps at home.

Are there good numbers of sturgeon around those flats?

Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Take Hwy. 4 west and you will pass directly over Deep River. If I remember right, it's just a few miles west of Grays River, but I haven't been there in the past couple of years. Once you cross the Deep River bridge on Hwy 4, take the first road on the left. The ramp is a few miles down at the end of the road. You'll pass a building on the left where you pay the ramp fee. They will also often have bait.
Like I said, it's been a few years since I fished there, but in the past I did well at Portuguese Point in 6-15' of water.

·
Registered
846 Posts
There are also boat ramps at Chinook and Ilwaco. There is a primitve ramp on the river, between Naselle and the Astoria-Megler Bridge. To use it you'll need a 4 wheel drive and an easy loading boat. It's just a couple of miles downriver from Port. Point

1 - 6 of 6 Posts