IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is leader length for sturgeon fishing? Is 3 to 4' o.k. for sand shrimp, 24" or
less for other baits? What length should be used
in fast flo waters. Sure will appreciate your
comments.....thanks

3,877 Posts
SW Cowboy,

You bring up some great questions in this arena. I have heard so many stories regarding leader length.

I hope we can get some good information regarding this subject because quite frankly I have heard many different opinions regarding this subject.

As for advise, I heard a short liter is what you need in fast moving water but I have also heard from others the opposite hods true.

Any advise from you experienced sturgeon killes would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good guestion. For the start of my sturgeon down at Astoria I tried difernt lengths on all my rods to see if any one had the advantage over the other. One rule of suggest that the longer the leader the more time it takes for the bite to be seen. I do find some truth to this when the current is not that strong as you find sometimes fishing the shallow waters in Astoria. As long as your bait and leader are in a straight line from your rod it will make little differnce but how often does this happen. We all can't cast out the back of the boat so there will be some type of angle that will slow the view of the strike.
So I ran 18" 24" 30" and 36" leaders. The one thing I did not like about the short leaders was when you are bringing the fish in you need to be a little more careful not to grab that braded main line. The biggest differnce I noticed was during slack and when the tide turned we had alot of stripped baits. For myself I will stick with the 18" to 24" but that just my .02.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts