IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a very promising day of shakers on wed. I headed out this morning to the fishery and went down below horseshoe falls and caught about 9 shakers and then my reel went nuts, fishing jumping outta the water, running out line he was on mad sturg. took 4 attempts to finally get him in the boat a whooping 48 incher

good luck out there this weekend guys and take the fresh smelt (and a little shrimp smelly concoction)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Nice fish!
Catch and Eat,
Funny, I am after the same thing, not satisfied with just one or two fish in the boat, still looking for a boat limit! :rolleyes: Yeah like that will happen for me, I did pick up a nice 38 lber last weekend.

Good luck, I'll be about thirty miles south of you.

Scott

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Congrats on the nice fish. :cheers: Don't you love how they peel the line off!!!

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
See Chris, this guy knows what to do. :shocked: :grin: Good job on mr sturg.

Heading to Tilly this weekend to find Casper. Hope he's there. Initial report from Neutron is zippo with the exception of a jack that got away. So...I guess he still ain't got jack. :blush: :wink:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did anyone have any luck today up by the fishery was it windy there as well as in portland ? anyone heading out tomorrow ?

·
Administrator
41,373 Posts
Bring the rain coat ... the wind was howling and the wave were breaking and the line for the put in was over the tracks and down the street. Shaker fishing was OK, but keepers were hard to come by. We did catch a salmon in 60 feet of water, but that's not my story to tell.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Yes the wind was howling and the water was moving too fast for us, so we went downstream near Horsetail Falls where we could stay on the bottom with only 8-10 oz. of lead. It was only 50ft. deep there but the waves and current were far more reasonable. Went through about 15 shakers- all about 24-28inches- sometimes it seemed like the same fish over and over again! Then another bite just like all the others and I set the hook! Solid resistance this time and line began to peel! Yeeeeehaaaaa- here we go! That's what I'm takin' 'bout. I'm tellin' you son!(I hate it when those guys on TV say that!)The line kept going very steadily at a constant speed, going, and going. I looked at my spool and said to my buddy-"here hold this, I gotta release the anchor!" By the time I untied it and was about to let go he said it had stopped running(whew!-at least there's a chance it's not too big) I retrieved all the line and he was up and down a couple of times before he came to the boat. Wow- 52 inches!
Finally after about 6 skunker trips- a keeper!
Smelt and that lubrication stuff we all use was our lucky bait- we had non-stop action most of the day.
Nice to meet "Skipper" at the ramp (I'll let him brag if he wants to)

[ 10-25-2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great story, great report and wow nice fish great job congrats and way to go after the kill
well i off to make jerky outta part of my 48

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Good to have met you Trollin4trout at North Bonneville.

I like trolling for trout too, but today was sturgeon.

Called up my Father-in-law (who had never gone sturgeon fishing before), and another friend Jay, who is an old time sturgeon fisher. We had a hard time keeping the anchor hooked due to the fast current and 20 mph East wind. Twice the break-away broke off. :shocked: We finally drug anchor until it held just below the fishery 300 yards and more on the Wash side.

Jay was hooking a lot of shakers and some 30" but no keepers. I hooked several shakers and finally a 43". My first keeper on the third time out. :cheers: An hour later I set the hook and pass it off to Walt (Age 77), and he lands a 56" keeper on his first ever sturgeon trip.

We stayed till 3:00 pm and called it quits. It was hard to see the small bits in windy conditions. Great time fishing though.

Jay showed us how to fillet a sturgeon, and I gave him some of it. :grin:

Cheerio'
Skipper

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
congrats skipper and i bet walt is hooked on sturgeon that is one great fight he took on and prolly had no idea what to expect when you gave him that pole now with that type of aderiline rush he gonna be calling you to go fishing :dance: , thought about going out todya but to much wind for my little boat 13'9" and same for tomorrow but thanks to my past employer not having enough work i will be back out monday wed, and thursday good luck and congrats :cool:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We made it all the way to Bridal Veil and decided we didn't like the looks of the whitecaps on the water. Turned around and headed back to Kelley Point. Much more manageable wind that died down in the afternoon. Didn't get any keepers, but we were kept busy with the 45 shakers we did catch.The biggest was 41", 3 or 4 39"ers and the rest anywhere from 15" on up! Not bad for 2 rods!

Dipnet :grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts