IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a buddy comeing in from out of state and he would love to get a sturgeon.All he talks about is how famous the columbia is for gators and i weould love to get him into some keepers.My problem is i dont have a lot of knowlage in the sturgeon department,ive done a couple of trips out of the fishery and do have the gear to battle these fish just a bit behind on the areas and baits.Im not asking for anyone to tell me there secret spots just little guidance of where i can go somewhere close to the portland area.Ive got a good batch of smelt and shad in the freezer and would love to treat my buddie with a fish to take home .thanks
BCFISH

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
If your lucky they will open the upper columbia to keepers july 1st and Bonneville will be a good choice. As it is now you need to travel towards astoria for keepers. When is your friend arriving. The scheduled closure for the astoria area is july 9th but it may close sooner due to quotas filled.

·
Ray S.
899 Posts
Bcfishon...Bonneville pool is still open. Put in at cascade locks ramp or Stevenson. Go below Rock creek, look around in 50 ft.or more. When you see the marks on the bottom anchor above them. Feed them your smelt. Enjoy... Good Luck
Ray

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Yeah, if he is coming soon then you have to go down to the estuary to keep them. If you go down there you can try around Warrenton or By tongue point depending on what kind of boat you have. If you go to the coast try to get fresh anchovies, but we nailed them on frozen smelt as well, so who knows?????

·
Registered
77 Posts
You should deffinitly try your Shad, cut the head and tails off( just a hint )Slaughter em! :cheers:

·
Registered
152 Posts
RS,I'll "second that motion" I've been fishing the pool on and off since the lower closure and haven't been skunked Yet!!

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Shoot me a mail when your buddy is going to be in town and when you are planning to fish and I will hook you up with all the info on where and how you need to know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts