IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I have caught over a 100 sturgeon in the last two weeks with only ONE !! keeper
fish at 43".I begining to think our sturgeon fishery is in serious trouble.I've never caught that many sturgeon without a bunch of keepers and or near keepers.These fish have all been really small like any where's from 12"-28"the average :depressed:
anyone else notice or haveing the same proplem.
I'm giving up for awhile and going back to catch some salmon and or steelies ??? I hope.
Bob :whazzup: :whazzup:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I thought it was just me..............

We have done ok down river but up here its just been shakers and one oversize

·
Registered
216 Posts
last week I was intoum,,we got 49 48 and 2 43's,,,an alot of 37 to 40's an some over size...2 days later same hole nothin but shakers,biggest 41,, went thu 5 doz smelt,goin out again friday,hopein its better! Was fishin the wall,,,the water was up an down from the generators @ bonnie followin the freq...been to much load demand bein so hot!.......Mule

·
Registered
38 Posts
Seems to be the norm. I,ve been fishing Trojan 4 times since the upper river opened. 2 keepers 47 44 lots of shorts. I normally go out by myself because my days off are normally wkdys. I,ll go thru 2-3 doz smelt. It seems like there would be at least a few more big guys out there. :whazzup:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
The fishery is far from being in danger in my opinion. A lot of the keeper fish have migrated to the estuary where the food supply is a buffet. I am sure 52 other people will jump in and say it isn't so but if I was a betting man I would take it to the bank. When September rolls around, the keepers will start to show in the Portland area and will be thick around Christmas, I guarantee it.

[ 07-24-2003, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Tacklebuster ]

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I have been 1 for 49 w/ a 43 1/2 inch keeper in the willamette :sick: . At the estuary, a couple friends went out and had 45 -50 fish days. At least a third were keepers. The only bad thing is they have to be released. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Nothing less than 30 shakers between 3 of us on Sunday.. Tons of fun on steelie rods and 14lb test. We will be itchin our (behind) when we hook a keeper or oversized!

[ 07-24-2003, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Fish the Umpqua, never have seen a shaker in the river in my lifetime. All the fish are oversized, or keepers. As some say , you can fish for keepers in the Umpqua, maybe getting one fish a day, but if you dont get anything by noon you can driver 4 hours to Portland and catch 40 shakers by dark.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hey outdoor.spec.ops, I now live in Sutherlin after 23 yrs in Portland. Would like to fish Umpqua for Sturgeon. Any advise or direction would be appreciated or maybe we can hook-up. I got the boat and all the gear.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey,,
I have been out of Deep River,,twice last week
Taking relatives who want 2 catch big fish,,& they have had a ball catching & releasing,,Big Sturg. ,,,the big Sturg are down river, getting bigger,,as I have not seen another boat,,
just my Nickle's worth,,
:cheers:

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Try fishing closer to wauna and above. Lots of fish and little pressure right now. 52, 45, 46, all last week. with 1, 41 1/2 and 1 wee one. This area is recieving very little pressure and the fish were not yellow bellies...nice salt colored fish!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts