IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,828 Posts
nope. my understanding is ceviche is for salt water fish only, not fresh!! :twocents:

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Love Ceviche... but on sturgeon? No thanks.

If you're brave enough to try, post some pictures of it, I'm sure we'd all like to see that. Also be sure to NOT read the "Items Inside sturgeon" thread before you do this.

· Registered
17,451 Posts
For salmon sashimi, you need to freeze the fish first, probably the same for Sturgeon. Sounds interesting.

· Registered
724 Posts
Yup totally agree after i seen whats lurkin in a sturgeons gut..I would use Real limes and chop the fish up real good.Let it marinate in the lime juice for at least a day.I have made ceviche out Steelie and Salmon.Very different but good.!Also maybe even partial boil wouldnt hurt then marinate..I like to add a bit of clamato also.!

· Registered
1,436 Posts
Cerviche

Cut sturgeon in small bite sieze pieces.

Cover in lemon or lime juice over nite.

Drain off juice.

Add Chunk style Salsa I (Your favorite kind) Stir and let set for a hour.

It's hard to wait a hour so it's OK to cheat and sample it early.

Good Luck

P.S. This will work with almost any fish and it's simple and so good.

· Registered
39 Posts
We use bass now ,after living 30 minutes from the ocean all my life, I NEED good ceviche. Catch, cut gills to bleed , immediately to ice. Fillet & dice at day's end. Cover in fresh lime juice until fish turns white 4-6 hours add tomatoes ,onions ,cilantro,serrano chiles.....awesome. Frozen fish in my experience works poorly at best !

· Registered
1,027 Posts
nope. my understanding is ceviche is for salt water fish only, not fresh!! :twocents:
:yeahthat: It's my understanding that freshwater fish are more suseptable to parasites and microorganisms that can make you sick. You need to cook the fish or freeze the fish to kill the little critters.
As stated above salt water fish only. Looking at what sturgeon eat and the water they swim in, cook it and cook it good:whistle:
As someone who is studying cooking methods without using heat, i can assure you that you can safely eat most anything without cooking it. i've made what could be called beef ceviche, and the principle is the same. the acid in the lime effectively "cooks" the meat, and as far as bacteria goes freezing the fish completely through will work to kill it.

For salmon sashimi, you need to freeze the fish first, probably the same for Sturgeon. Sounds interesting.
spot on. freeze it, slice thin, and put it in lime juice. should be tasty.

· Registered
65 Posts
good advice here

As someone who is studying cooking methods without using heat, i can assure you that you can safely eat most anything without cooking it. i've made what could be called beef ceviche, and the principle is the same. the acid in the lime effectively "cooks" the meat, and as far as bacteria goes freezing the fish completely through will work to kill it.

spot on. freeze it, slice thin, and put it in lime juice. should be tasty.

· Registered
65 Posts
Love good ceviche, this one looks great.
Cerviche

Cut sturgeon in small bite sieze pieces.

Cover in lemon or lime juice over nite.

Drain off juice.

Add Chunk style Salsa I (Your favorite kind) Stir and let set for a hour.

It's hard to wait a hour so it's OK to cheat and sample it early.

Good Luck

P.S. This will work with almost any fish and it's simple and so good.

· Registered
52 Posts
we did smallmouth bass ceviche on a John Day float with fresh limes, onion, tomato, garlic, cilantro- awesome on day 4 of a 5 day float. Looked hard for worms, and soaked for 6 hours in the lime juice on ice. Delicious, no one got sick and it disappeared fast.

· Registered
1 Posts
Curious if anyone has tried sturgeon as ceviche. Can't seem to find a recipe, although I'll use the standard, lime, cilantro, onion and all ceviche recipe. anyone tried this?
I am a retired fisheries biologist. I’m gonna tell you first of all that sturgeon are anadromous. That means they frequent saltwater and freshwater, and they can do either one exclusively. So, by some people definition here, you can make ceviche out of sturgeon, if it’s been saltwater. However I will go further and tell you that you can make ceviche have any fish you damn well please. There is no more likelihood of there being nasty parasites that would hurt a human being in a freshwater fish versus a saltwater fish.
I go further online and read about how it is valued as sashimi because as some people like myself believe, some fish are just tastier to the power thaI go further online and read about how it is valued as sashimi because as some people like myself believe, some fish are just tastier Raw then cooked. I feel this way about a really good fatty salmon belly.

· Banned
324 Posts
I am a retired fisheries biologist. I’m gonna tell you first of all that sturgeon are anadromous. That means they frequent saltwater and freshwater, and they can do either one exclusively. So, by some people definition here, you can make ceviche out of sturgeon, if it’s been saltwater. However I will go further and tell you that you can make ceviche have any fish you damn well please. There is no more likelihood of there being nasty parasites that would hurt a human being in a freshwater fish versus a saltwater fish.
I go further online and read about how it is valued as sashimi because as some people like myself believe, some fish are just tastier to the power thaI go further online and read about how it is valued as sashimi because as some people like myself believe, some fish are just tastier Raw then cooked. I feel this way about a really good fatty salmon belly.
This is very wrong. Being anadromous has no effect on the ability of a fish to be safely eaten raw. Salmon are not supposed to eat raw without freezing for the correct time and at the correct temperature. There are lots plenty of parasites in both fresh and saltwater fish. Open water pelagics like tuna are normally safe to eat raw without treatment. Do people eat raw rockfish, halibut, etc? Sure, but I wouldn’t want to be the guy that got the bad one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.