IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying my hand at shad fishing yesterday, which I wasn't successful, I had the chance to capture a picture of a fisherman catching a sturgeon upriver of the I-205 bridge at Oregon City, drop a looped rope around the fish, and haul the fish back up the 75 - 100+ foot cliff face... I thought it was quite an amazing feat...

Having not caught a sturgeon before, is this one legal sized ? or, does he have big feet ? :cheers:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
From the picture it is hard to tell. It doesn't really matter though because the retention of Sturgeon is not allowed right now anyway.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Why would he be hauling it up the cliff? :whazzup: Even if it was legal sized, it isn't legal to keep it yet. :hoboy:

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Unfortunately, they have been doing this for years. They yard them up to remove the hook and then flip them for multiple gainers until they splat, usually belly flop style, back into the pool.

I have seen shakers lay belly up for 10-15 minutes until they recover enough to flip over and dive. :mad: Can't be good for them at all...

The really disgusting thing right now of course is that it isn't even legal to retain them. So every one hooked will get this treatment.

Not sure why this isn't considered abuse to the fish. :shrug:

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
sure looks short to me, I'd say 34-36" or so, but can't be sure. I've heard that some folks are on the shady side along the wall, keeping undersized fish, but that's just what I hear. Too bad you could be sure and nail the guy if it is undersized. Plus it's not legal to retain anyway, right? I think that whole set up there at the wall sucks! Cant' be good to drop a fish 75 into the water.

[ 05-16-2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am sure if he let it go it was not in the best of shape due to hiting the wall all the way up. And just how did he let it go from that high up. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have seen this before. I hate it and I wish ODFW or whoever has jurisdiction would prohibit fishing for sturgeon from this location.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well folks, this guy "bag'd" his catch pretty quick... I'm lucky I got the picture, as fast as he was hauled the fish up the cliff face...

My brother has told me that the "local fish" on the Willamette, like the sturgeon is not very safe to eat... true ??? if I remember right, they were on the east side of the river, just down stream of that big factory by the falls.... will they have genetically mutated kids if he/they keep eating these 'local' fish ?

well, if anyone knows this couple... you might want to educate them....

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
And just to be specific, what they do is once a fish gets too tired to fight and is laying essentially lifeless at the base of the cliff (which they can not scale down of course), they take the rope and form the loop around their line.
Then they drop it down to the fish and play with it until they manage to lasso the fish around the gills. Then they drag up the fish, banging it on the face of the cliff, unhook it, and toss it back.

The only good news about this is that until they prohibited gaffs, the used to use a great big trebble hook they would attach to the lasso! :mad:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Junk like this makes me :sick: Why someone would even think it was right to pull a sturgeon out of the water like that and let it free fall to the water from that height ought to have his/her privlages revoked. The only amazing feat I see is how this practice is even legal. :hoboy:

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Not this year, invader. They closed the Willamette zone to retention as well.

This thread really should be forwarded to the OSP who handles enforcement...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hear a lot of you guys knocking this fishing spot and the people who fish it but I don't hear any positive alternatives. Have you ever offered some friendly education like...offering a ride in your baot as you pass by below? a lot of the people who fish there are kids and they know that it is a productive place to fish. With out a boat what are they sapose to do? I personaly think it would be nice if some sort of floating fishing dock were built on this part of the sea wall that would go up and down with the water level so they wouldn't have to drop the fish that far but sturgeion are tough and if this practice killed them ODFW would stop it. I just think some positive thinking and looking for a solution to the problem would be time better spent, rather than attacking people for fishing in a manor that is legal but diferent from the way you do.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I am not buying that lack of a boat permits this kind of fishing.I do not use a boat but I do a lot of bank fishing for sturgeon also.There are a lot of areas available for us to use but this is just laziness on these folks part.Get out of the car and throw a line down the cliff,no walking involved,no packing the fish out.they should of closed this area years ago or observed it closer.This puts a bad mark on all people who fish all thats needed is someone from say PETA to see these yokels pitching a fish off the cliff and then we all suffer the bad press.You have the pics to prove how "legal"they fish in this area but OSP seems to ignore this.Granted manpower or lack of it seems to be the excuse but this idiocy has been going on for years and all it would take to stop it is a few high priced tickets and it would cease.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Sorry guys but I gotta agree with Lamiglas Drifter. I have friends that fish off of "The Wall" and they are pretty careful about how those fish are released. There are some poachers that used to fish there that no longer do thanks to a couple of my buddies that have run them off.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Let's see... If it isn't against the law, it isn't wrong? Why do we have so much regulation and so many laws? Because people don't regulate themselves. :mad:

It's a fish. A living, breathing thing made of flesh, bones and blood. I haven't seen this area, but it's being described as having a 75' drop back into the water. I don't care how tough these creatures are, if they weren't designed to take a 75' fall, they can't withstand it easily. Ask yourself why a sturgeon would be designed to take a 75' fall. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I knew someone would come up with a lame reason to defend fishing from this location. Not having a boat is no excuse at all, and it isnt a boat owners responsibility to provide floatation for every bankie. If a guy has money for beer, snacks, soda, bait, tackle, gas, smokes, etc, then he has money for something that floats. I'd be embarrased and ashamed if someone saw me yarding a sturgeon up that wall like that, but thats just me. Thats all I got to say about it, I'm done.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
So I guess the issue here is they have the right to kill a living breathing thing just because they don't have a boat or a dock
Please... There are hundreds of miles of shoreline that a person can fish without 75 to 100 foot walls you have to drag a fish up and pitch them back over the side.

If you can somehow fish this area without causing a higher rate of damage to the fish then so be it. If someone wants a boat ride they can start a post on a board or talk to some buddies. If they want to fish from a dock then the river is full of them. Too many people take a situation that is wrong and turn criticism into a "personal attack". I think if you will throw a sturgeon off a wall, you should expect a butt chewing.

Sturgeon are tough but define tough. If you think for a split second that this doesn't kill fish then discussing this any further is a mute point. I'm a pretty tough guy but putting a rope around me, dragging me up that wall, and throwing me back in would probably knock the starch right out of me. Especially if I was 3 feet tall. This is not a humane way to treat these fish no matter how you want to look at it. :mad:

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
OK, just for the record the wall is probably not over about 40 or at the most 50'. Now, everthing else that TundraIII, Pilar's Mate, TFG and TB write I happen to feel the same way about.

Not only that, but the catwalk, directly across the river, provides dock access to the same deep pool as those fishing from the cliff. In fact, it is well over a 100' deep just off the catwalk. You do have to walk a ways, and you can't sit in your rig if it is raining, and they discourage drinking there. Hmmm....

Anyone who can justify fishing from the cliff is welcome to try, but they aren't convincing me anyway. I know of lots of good sturgeon spots to fish from the bank, wish some people would consider them. Most can not be accessed from a parking lot...

And I don't think I want those folks in my boat, since they feel that treating the fish like that is somehow OK. Besides, I have no cover on the boat.

I am done too.

[ 05-16-2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Hogmaster ]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts