IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on doing some sturgeon fishing off the bank in the Portland area this weekend. I have seen and heard of people using a cocktail of sand shrimp and crappie for bait. Is there a commercial source for crappie or is everyone catching their own? Any other bait suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I disagree with the last post. Do fish the Portland area! Go to your local deli meat counter and pick up either squid or baby octopus. Soak them in garlic scent (usually found as Halibut scent) at least 24 hours prior to using. Fish all your normal spots. We have been catching quality fish the last month and a half.

Good luck, and don't forget the GARLIC!

Scott

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I think I heard that they OUTLAWED crappie for bait.

They told us we can't use crappie because its considered a game fish.

Has anyone else heard this.?

I have CRAPPIE SCENT that works GREAT for STURGEON. Thats why I made it because they said I couldn't use them.

I try to follow the law.
:smile:
Thanks,
Marie

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sandshrimp and worms or smelt. Anise oil for scent. I don't know of anywhere to get crappie commercially.

·
Registered
516 Posts
[ 09-05-2003, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Grits ]

·
Registered
344 Posts
Crappie is the bait of choice at the dam. They have guys up there selling crappie for $2.00 a piece. Don't bother with around the Portland area this time of year the fish are either up at the dam or down at the coast. The end of the month things should start picking up around here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts