IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
11,395 Posts
Here's a sadistic and sick fish story about stupid things we do to catch fish...

I spent about 15 years living back in the NE and fished the famed salmon river and Oswego river in upstate NY many times. Well come steelhead time. it's freakin cold. Bad enough living in the NE during winter, but fishing in it??? Crazy nutjobs only!!! Anyway, my first official steelhead trip. Drive the 5 hours from NJ in the ice and snow, get up there at midnight, sleep for a few crappy hours and throw on the waders. Being the idiot I am, I throw on the flyweights. No neoprene for this rocket scientist!!! I had fleece under, jeans, wool socks and thought I was set. It snowed about 30" that night, common for lake effect snowstorms up there. Come 5 am, I saddle up and head for the river. First chore is too wade through 30" of virgin powder. where's the snow mobile to drag my butt to the river. Buy the time I reach the water some 1000 yards later, it feels like I am walking on two blunt 2x4's!!! holy christ am I daying from the pain. I'm hallusinating of swinsuit models sitting on a warm beach in Hawaii!! I get to the water and gut it out and wade in. I'm fishing about 10 minutes in the 5 degree air when I slip on some ice and in I go. I plant an arm up to my ear and come up gasping. Make a few numbing steps and in I go again! This time I bob down stream a bit like a lost corkie!
Thank god my angel was with me, a hero down stream grabbed my spent body!! I really thought I was done. By the time I got up the bank my clothes were frozen pretty stiff. I got some assistance and made it back to the car, some heat and changed into dry stuff. Lucky I had them. An end of that trip! Whew!!!!!
My body runs super warm and I think that saved my life from dying of hypothermia. I've been back countless times to fish for winters, with cleats and wading staff, gloves and 5 mil waders. Snowing sideways, with temps well below freezing.

Crazy, but the stuff some of us do to catch a steelhead.
:shrug:
GBS

[ 04-29-2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

· Registered
11,395 Posts
I did the same thing on the north fork of the nehalem last fall. About a mile up from the hatchery in the canyon area. Only thing was climbing was way beyond dangerous, but the only way out. We climbed a 60 degree mud/dirt.rock slope. I actually thought I might get seriously hurt or killed if I fell. Grabbing roots and loose rock all the way. We were wiped, scared and kissing god when we reached the top. No fish to show for it though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.