IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37,296 Posts
Cool find. Beautiful weather out there right now. I’m busy cooking dinner or I’d go out for a walk...

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are Japanese floats? I have a couple in my yard. There was a bunch of em washed up a year or so ago.
Yes... The big one on top has been out there awhile. You can see the mass of mussels there. I thought about making a pot of cioppino. Neighbor said those mussels aren't any good. Wonder of they are invasive, or the same brand that we have on the rocks?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
might get those mussels checked out so they are not illegal to have. kill them or let ODFW know. Can ruin a river
Can't imagine them living long on the porch out of the salt. But I guess ya never know .

I found a float a few years ago and through it in a flower bed in the summer. It wasn't long and it moved further away from the house. Invasive muscles don't like our summer sun out of the water !

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
So a organism attached to a man made object is invasive, if it was attached to chunk of bamboo.......is it still invasive? or just part of mother nature’s business that has been taking place for millions of years before Humanoid erectus.

Are we invasive life forms to North America ? Definitely the most destructive?

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
So a organism attached to a man made object is invasive, if it was attached to chunk of bamboo.......is it still invasive? or just part of mother nature’s business that has been taking place for millions of years before Humanoid erectus.

Are we invasive life forms to North America ? Definitely the most destructive?
The difference is that most naturally occurring flotsam won't survive the months it takes to drift across the Pacific. Man made jetsam (plastics), and attached life forms, can and do survive. If Japanese mussels drifting up here were a natural process, they would have been here millions of years ago.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Got it, that makes perfect sense now!.......

I kind of question the idea, that we know what the currents, water temp and winds were a million of years ago, as flotsam floated on the ocean....

You know what would be cool ? If they found a zebra mussel shell in the Fort Rock or John Day fossil fields. In one day zebra mussels would go from invasive species to revered and at the top of the ESA?

cool floats, I doubt your find is going to ruin a river, or you maybe in violation for possession of floating mussels..... :oops:...

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
If those things have invasives on them, we are hosed. There were a couple dozen of those floats at the base of the south jetty last year. Some had to have made it inside the CR, Necanicum, who knows where else.

My son brought a couple home, they kinda stunk in my wifes jeep. They have invaded my yard since.

·
Registered
249 Posts
And....maybe those muscles attached and grew on the floats once they arrived on our side of the ocean.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
A lot of Japanese glass ball floats used to wash up on a beach near here. I was told they were made by glass blowing using a light green Coke bottle.
Have not heard of any found for quite awhile as I think they switched over to plastic

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wife found a nice big float when we were spending the weekend in Florence around 10 years back. Cleaned it up and swung by a local antique store and they were more than willing to buy it from me but we hung on to it. Ours is a 2 piece clear glass with a small stamp on it and it doesn't have any rope eyelets. Lady at the antique store said it looked like a really old one.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Great find! Whenever I find a float it goes on my garden fence as decoration. Only have a few but want more. Good for you.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You can take those floats, clean them up, paint them (if you want), drill a hole in the bottom, and cut about 1/4 of the top away...they make excellent hanging planters. Plants that like heat do real well in them. They are a little funky looking ... sort of look like a frog. I have four of them I hang around the garden.

Or, all the ones you find with feet of crawly things on them ... put them in Wak's boat. He loves to find those a week later.

Pegasus

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I scraped them off the float and threw them out back for the raccoons.

Did a quick walk in the zone this morning and found another one.

The other thing that amazes me, is the amount of plastic that washes up on the beach.
I could fill a thousand bottles like this everyday on our beach.
IMG_20210207_163738403.jpg

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I scraped them off the float and threw them out back for the raccoons.

Did a quick walk in the zone this morning and found another one.

The other thing that amazes me, is the amount of plastic that washes up on the beach.
I could fill a thousand bottles like this everyday on our beach. View attachment 950326
You need to sell those Amahnee! Gotta be someone that wants one in the bathroom.or kitchen for decorations!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts