IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll jump into the middle of this issue..... :shrug:

This is a link to a 10 year study on the ocean's big fish

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/05/14/coolsc.disappearingfish/index.html

I will be one of the first to admit that I'm not up to speed on the whole issue but this isn't good news.

Hope you appreciate that can of tuna.

I hope you support Green Peace activities because they seem to be one of the few pro-active groups taking on the ocean fishing issues.

Whaling is the tip of the iceburg.

Tuna are hunted 365/24/7 by helicopters and ships

Appreciate what we have now because tomorrow might not be another day for the ocean's fish.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I probably won't be very popular with this, but hardly will I ever agree with anything greenpeace protests and I have very serious doubts as to the legitimacy of the information that "nature author" is putting out. 99 times out of a hundred, the information or "points in bold" in these texts are inclusive of a very particular political angle/agenda in mind and are developed to push an issue by exageration rather than fact simply because the fact part of it really doesn't make a great case for themselves.

The ocean fish count will no doubt go lower due to increased harvesting and human population increase. I seriously doubt the numbers could get that low though. Like he said, "in some areas" it sould be feasable, but not the ocean as a whole. I just won't buy it.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Hope it ain't true, I do like my "chicken of the sea"!

As far as greenpeace goes, aren't they kind of a "salty dog sierra club"?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree with alot of thing that Green peace, seirra, peta etc stand for. But its the way they do business I dont like, for example I gave up gun hunting and only hunt with a bow (and not very much of that due to it gets in the way of fishing) But I well fight for my neibors right to gun hunt. I remember when people thought that given enough time all fish would grow to become trophys. But I know believe that its a function of genes big fih have big babys.....so something must be put in effect to protect the big fish...DJ

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was fishing out of Matazlan a few years ago. We were trolling for sail fish and saw a Tuna processing boat with helicoptors and nets. The captain of our boat said they were mainly fishing for tuna but we saw all kinds of fish in their nets from Sailfish, dorado, swardfish, ect. They may have been fishing for Tuna but were killing all kinds of fish. Nets are Just wrong and should be banned.

·
Banned
74 Posts
First of all let's check the source of that referenced article... That's right CNN! It's not a surprise it wasn't balanced with a counter opinion! CNN is the biggest main stream influence of liberalism and all their cronies in the media.

For a balanced (well as balanced as the Oregonian can get they too are a little too liberal but that's for another conversation) look at this article from the Boregonian....

Oregonian- Fish Study

The United States agency responsible for conserving ocean fish questioned such broad conclusions.

"I don't think one can make simple generalizations like that," said Michael Sissenwine, head of fisheries science at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

He said regulators expect commercial fishing to reduce stocks by 50 percent or more from historic levels. When managing overfished stock, he said, his agency's goal is not to restore populations to pristine levels. "The intent is to rebuild them to levels that will support a maximum sustainable yield. "

During the past five years, rebuilding efforts have allowed NOAA to take 20 species off its "overfished" list.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">The sky is not falling Chicken Little! I was going to have some soup for lunch but after reading the Lundman's request that I enjoy tuna, I am going to have not one but two cans of tuna today for lunch. Thanks for the encouragement to enjoy tuna Lund.
bryan

[ 05-15-2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Bryan ]

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Boregonian!

You crack me up Bryan! CNN liberal? Geez, who would have ever thunk it?

But Bryan, what are ODFW/NOAA studying? Rockfish or tuna?

Didn't read the article and hope to find time in the future.

We have the technololgy to fish 'em all out if the bio's and mgmt would let us. Thank God for the bio's or there wouldn't be anything left!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I find it ironic that I just ate a tuna fish sandwich 5 minutes before reading this thread. I'll gladly say it was delicious.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Mmmmmm! Tuuuuunaaaaaa... They're plentiful! Can't keep 'em outta the boat... they're just dying to get in!
:shocked:
Just look in my cupboard. You'll find cases of the buggers in jars sitting there. :grin:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
So, Bryan, you're going to take NOAA's word as gospel? What did NOAA say about the east coast groundfish stocks BEFORE their populations collapsed?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
It's not my fault, no sir, no way. I don't catch the big fish, no matter how hard I try. In fact, my standard response when asked if I'm catching any fish is, "I may not be catching any fish, but the ones I'm not catching are big!"

·
Banned
74 Posts
So, Bryan, you're going to take NOAA's word as gospel?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I only take Matthew, Mark, Luke and John as gospel. NOAA, I have no idea what they stand for or more importantly what motivates them politically. I trust no one on internet boards especially those that would trust CNN as their only source!

You know what... i think my tuna tasted a little like dolphin! Yumm, dolphin...

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
What's the surprise?

This is the same pattern seen on the east coast with cod and here in the west with some varieties of rock fish:

Intense commercial fishing causing severe overharvest, resulting in remaining populations comprised of smaller specimans.

This report simply shows the pattern being played out globally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts