IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello~
I'm pretty new to the boards. Anyways, I'm a bank fisherman, and I've been fishing for sturgeon for several years now, mostly at Bonneville. I've never fished Astoria, but heard that you can fish from the bank/shore or whatever. I tried searching but couldn't find any info. Anyways, does anyone have some info about fishing from the bank in Astoria? Places, bait, technique, tides? Also, how's the gator action at Bonneville? Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Come on parvo99, where is the customary first fish story

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hm...sorry, guess I haven't read enough to know the "rules".

Let's see. My first experience with a sturgeon lasted about 2 minutes, and I never got to see the fish. Not knowing much about sturgeon fishing, my friend and I took about an 8 foot spinning rod and reel combo to Robbin's Island to try our luck. Remember, we're bank fishers. We watched in amazement as we saw guys with 15ft custom poles launching their rigs half way across the river! O well, we were here, might as well put the bait in the water. We stayed way clear of the "best" fishing spots so we wouldn't bother the "good" fishermen. My friend casted first and was unsuccessful at getting the sinker to hold bottom. After a few tries, I said, "let me try, I can get anything snagged!". Sure enough, I managed to launch it about 30 yards and snag it in the rocks. I could feel the regulars snickering at us newbies. We decide to walk down river a little ways to find a good spot to place our pole. Not 30 seconds later, as my friend is holding the pole walking along the bank, he yells "fish on!" Haha, whatever, I JUST cast it, and only got it out 30 yards. Sturgeon fishing from the bank takes hours of patience, right? Well, not this time! Sure enough line was flying off the reel! Now remember, we had a spinning reel and had maybe 150 yards of line. We watched as the line disappeared at an alarming rate! With only about 20 yards of line left and no sign of stopping, I told my friend to hang on while I adjust the drag a little. Well, unfortunately I adjusted it about a 1/4 turn too much, and as quickly as the fish was on, it was gone :depressed: . Well, with no line left, there wasn't much we could do but go home that day, but I've been hooked ever since!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great story. I to got hooked on Sturgeon since the first one that I hooked. Still waiting for my keeper.

Welcome to the group. :cheers:

GU

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
great story :cheers:
welcome to the board
next outing may require a little stiffer outfit
to get better results :grin:

·
Administrator
119,602 Posts
I used to fish off the port docks in Astoria.

As soon as you get across the bridge, heading North, take a right by the feed store, and continue around to your right.

I'm not sure what the laws are now, but we used to be able to fish out there, at the end of the docks. It was quite comfy. Sit in your car, etc... the rod holders were built into the side.

Also, there is another area, but I can't remember what street it was... 6th? Where you could fish off of the pier.

Also, you can drive out to Fort Stevens to parking lot D and head toward the bay. Lots of people fish for sturgeon out off the rocks there... not the beach, but the rocks. When you park at D, you'll see a sandy beach. Don't take that way, but follow the trail through the grass to access the bay side where they fish sturgeon.

I've also done well in Youngs bay fishing from a store there, that I think is now closed. That being said, I don't know that they allow people down on that dock anymore. They used to have net pens out there, and you could fish off of the net pen docks if you were careful.

Jen

[ 05-30-2003, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts