IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a custom weld 21 inboard jet that I love, mostly fish the Columbia within an hour of Portland, but love to go to the ocean. My CW does fine in the ocean but it’s a hard ride many time with a 14 or 10 degree deadrise not even sure which one. I don’t use the jet really for skinny water, considering a striper 23ft. Better for the ocean and would work for most of the Columbia trolling I do. Any thoughts particularly from those with striper experience. Thank you.
Cheers

·
Registered
294 Posts
You get what you pay for. A Grady, pursuit or Parker will give a better ride but with a higher price tag. I have a 2101 and for the price I'm happy with it. Not fast as others but seems to handle as big of ocean as I care to be in. Having the cabin is nice. I take a lot family out. It's nice when someone gets sick or the grandkids can go in when tired or cold.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have a custom weld 21 inboard jet that I love, mostly fish the Columbia within an hour of Portland, but love to go to the ocean. My CW does fine in the ocean but it’s a hard ride many time with a 14 or 10 degree deadrise not even sure which one. I don’t use the jet really for skinny water, considering a striper 23ft. Better for the ocean and would work for most of the Columbia trolling I do. Any thoughts particularly from those with striper experience. Thank you.
Cheers

One of the wettest and worst rides in a very bad storm, I've even been a part of. It was an Alaskan version and the two front seats dry, the back two seats got all the water that splashed over. The windshield wipers won't stay due to the curved windshield, when the wind was blowing hard. The back engine takes up a lot of the fish deck space. The boat is an absolute submarine on large swells and it drinks fuel like no tomorrow. That boat went on one trip and never went again.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had a 2006 2101 for many years which I recently sold - primarily because I was doing less offshore and more inshore/estuary fishing (and needed more room for grandkids). We commonly ran 30-40 miles offshore to chase tuna and fished nearshore for halibut, rockfish and salmon. I had a 4.3 fuel injected 6 cylinder I/O which was a bit of a gas guzzler but gas was a lot cheaper back then. My wet deck/scuppers always performed flawlessly. For me, it was a good riding boat in as rough as I wanted to be in. I would second that it was horrible for deck space and I always commented that it was the world's largest two person fishing vessel. There's an excellent internet support forum if you want to read up some more on Stripers: Striper Owners Club Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
A friend of mine is selling a 28’ Parker. Probably a little bigger then what your looking for but she is one fishy boat! DM me if your interested and I can get you his contact info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had two Stripers. Started with a 2101 Alaska with a merc outboard. Traded up to a 2300 in 2019 with a 200 Yamaha. I love both of these boats. Going 50 miles out for tuna trolling all day the most fuel I have burned is 47 gallons in a day. Boat can handle a lot rougher sea than I can. I have several buddy boats I fish with the are 24-26 North Rivers and neither can keep up with me, unless they want their teeth knocked out. Boat tops out at around 45mph when trimmed out, never need that speed on the ocean, but it's nice to know I can move if I need to. All boats are a compromise, would I like more deck space, yes. I do wish I had the 2700 Striper. I fish 3-4 people and you have to get a pattern down due to deck space. I have had 50 tuna on board and (4) guys. Wife would not be happy to see the kill bags in her cabin but have to make room. Overall the boats are very well built with a lot of options. I've been running Stripers for 11 years now with out a single issue. Big boat with small deck but I wouldn't trade mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A friend of mine is selling a 28’ Parker. Probably a little bigger then what your looking for but she is one fishy boat! DM me if your interested and I can get you his contact info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have had two Stripers. Started with a 2101 Alaska with a merc outboard. Traded up to a 2300 in 2019 with a 200 Yamaha. I love both of these boats. Going 50 miles out for tuna trolling all day the most fuel I have burned is 47 gallons in a day. Boat can handle a lot rougher sea than I can. I have several buddy boats I fish with the are 24-26 North Rivers and neither can keep up with me, unless they want their teeth knocked out. Boat tops out at around 45mph when trimmed out, never need that speed on the ocean, but it's nice to know I can move if I need to. All boats are a compromise, would I like more deck space, yes. I do wish I had the 2700 Striper. I fish 3-4 people and you have to get a pattern down due to deck space. I have had 50 tuna on board and (4) guys. Wife would not be happy to see the kill bags in her cabin but have to make room. Overall the boats are very well built with a lot of options. I've been running Stripers for 11 years now with out a single issue. Big boat with small deck but I wouldn't trade mine.
SK thx for your perspective, that is what I am looking for mostly owners opinions.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Seems like a lot of bad reviews. I have a 2002 2601 with outboards. The windshield wipers are a pita with the curve glass. The in floor fish boxes are not worth much other than storage and am still working on sealing them up as they have a tendancy to fill with water when we wash down the deck. Getting into the aft section is nearly impossible for washdown, macerator pump or battery service. Agree on the small deck. Other than that has been fine. With twin 200 outboards it is a 60 mph via gps in freshwater and I typically burn 60-80 gals on a tuna trip.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I have a grady white seafarer 228 that I had trailered out from Florida. Great boat for trailering around and will handle more than uncomfortable conditions. This boat has been fantastic and would highly recommend taking a look at one if you can.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have a 2301 that I have fished with for the last 10 years. Its a great boat. No it is not a grady but it also does not come with the price tag. I would say the hull rides as well as a grady though. The difference between the two really comes down to some of the hardware and fittings. The striper rails, hinges, wiring are not the same quality found on a grady. That has not bothered me though. I bought a very functional boat without breaking the bank. I could sell today and make money.
I like it. I have twin 115s on mine.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have a grady white seafarer 228 that I had trailered out from Florida. Great boat for trailering around and will handle more than uncomfortable conditions. This boat has been fantastic and would highly recommend taking a look at one if you can.
One of the best boats in that size. Buddy has one I fish on often, rides great and stays dry. Back deck has lots of room to fish 4 people comfortably. Very well built also. If you can, find one with a 250 yamaha.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
One of the best boats in that size. Buddy has one I fish on often, rides great and stays dry. Back deck has lots of room to fish 4 people comfortably. Very well built also. If you can, find one with a 250 yamaha.

do you feel it has enough fish storage for our ocean bottom fishing and tuna? Seems like it really lacks fish holds .

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Bottom fish, salmon and halibut are no problem, the starboard fishbox under the seat is large. It also fits 8 or so tuna and will fit 50in halibut. My buddy runs a kill bag on each walk around area and 1 more on the back deck. We have put close to 40 tuna on board before.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
My 2201 hardtop gets the job done. It's underpowered with a 200 4 cylinder Yami. Following seas sucks as it gets pushed around a little more than average. The heavy top and non baffled fuel tank don't help that. Takes on waves from the front well for it's size. Put 4 nice butts and limits of bottom fish in the center fish hold yesterday, I sealed and insulated it and added a gulper pump also. Accessing anything to work on sucks, but most glass boats suck for that. I've had 30 tuna in there before. Rear side holds are just storage as they're too small and melt ice too fast.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I love mine! It’s actually for sale. It’s an 02. Been an awesome boat just time for something bigger with a growing family. If you want some more details it’ll be in the classifieds soon. I’ve had it 55 miles off tuna fishing, butts every chance I get, rides way better than any aluminum boat I’ve ever been in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts