IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what the stangest bait or rigging you've actually SEEN a fish caught on is. Here are my 2..

1) South Santiam Summer Steelhead caught on a jig tipped with a cigarette but that was found on the ground.

2) Alsea Winter Steelhead caught on a drift rig. Instead of using a corky, the guy had a yellow and black topwater bass plug on his leader.

3) Salmon River Fall Chinook. Guy fishing bobber and eggs next to me was coating his bait with dishsoap fo somekind(it was blue).

Hope to hear some funny baits from all of you.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Trout and Gummy worms. The red and green ones work best.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Keeper sturgeon on half a hotdog. My buddie's wife was joking around during a slow period. She caught one on the pickle from a jar of pickled herring, too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Crabait, sounds like the sturgon was the one that got pickled :grin: :grin:

1. Grandpa caught a carp on a cigar butt that was probably still warm

2. caught a crappie on a buzz bait.
3. Have also caught bass on field mice before.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more to add

- My buddy was fishing corkies with his family with no luck. He ended up cutting his daughter's barbie hair of and using it like yarn to catch one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Saw Rip-A-Lip catch a catch a native springer this morning on the sandy using a bobber and jig. Its not that strange but Rip sure is!!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
300 Posts
On our honeymoon on the island of Moorea (Tahiti) :grin: , fishing for reef fish from our room over the Pacific Ocean, I was using beef jerky
on a hook with a split shot, tied onto a spool of line, (left the pole in the car trunk at the airport :blush: ). They loved it :dance: , and so did a 4-5 ft shark :shocked: . He wasn't on but for a few seconds before I was severed. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Catfish caught with a stewed tomato on a single hook.

Catfish on a ball of bread dough.

Bass using live grasshoppers.

Sunfish using a clean bare hook.

Sunfish using raisins.

Smallmouth bass using a raisin and the seedy top of a piece of grass.

I was not the one using the following bait I only witnessed it: a muskie caught using a live baby duck with a trebble hook tied to its back. It was way back in the 70s.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
summer steelhead on the North Santiam on a chunk of pepperoni stick.

[ 09-26-2003, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: RichH ]

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I used chewing gum way more than once on everything from panfish to bass, to catfish.
bubble gum pink lloks just like a small worm.
Always nice to be able to keep your bait in your mouth.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This isn't to weird but a buddy of mine goes Tuna Fishing out of San Diego. They use live bait and
the little fishies swim away pulling their line out away from the boat, then BAM a tuna!!!! has anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Seems to be alot of success using strange baits. Wonder why I have so much trouble catching fish using the bait of choice? :whazzup: Maybe I should try those stinky catfish dough baits for chinook. Just a thought. :tongue:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Caught a lewis river steelhead off a small sucker fish fillet when i was fishing with my grandpa about 15 years ago.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Handgrenades....in the Phillipines in 86. A couple in the water 30-40 yards apart and they neeted a big boat full of fish. Not recommended for reef health. We went someplace else to go scuba diving

·
Registered
13,576 Posts
Hey crabby back in California we use to take a bobber and let a live shiner swim under it for striper and bass wow you get some ferocious hits this way. I have also done this off the jetties in California for sea bass and cabozon it also works to get a really light line and a small hook and hook a small minnow in the meaty section in the tail and let is swim away brown trout love this little trick.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Caught my first sturgeon on a chartreuse crankbait while trolling for walleye near the mouth of the Deshutes. My buddy hooked a ********* and while he brought it in the sturgeon took the crankbait as it floated toward the surface. Thought I snagged the bottom. Had treble hooks in both top and bottom lips. Big fish, over 5 feet. No kidding!!

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
The coolest thing I've ever seen was when my family took a trip to Southern California. On our trip my dad wanted to show me how to catch bonito/barracuda/etc off the jetties and piers down there like he did when he was a kid. After catching a couple of bonita on Rapala's, he broke out the coolest rig ever. Slide a cork bobber onto your mainline and tie a pyramid sinker to it. Separatly, tie your hook to a 3 foot leader that is attached backwards to a snapswivel. Cast sinker and bobber into the sea. Clip on your leader (now it's above the bobber) and hook your baitfish through the nose(i think it was live anchovies or something similar) and work that down to your bobber (you gotta kinda jig it). Now your bait just swims in a circle on the surface, and is it ever cool to see a bonita shoot by and take you bait right there at the surface. He said they did it all the time down there, but I've never seen or heard of it done here. We can't use live bait here, right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts