IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from a week of fishing for springers . I fished the M.C. channel,and the wind .
We did fine we all caught fish and had a blast.
I was cele............................................brating my one year anniversary of getting a second chance at life . One year ago i was crippled with a very serious spinal injury while springer fishing below Bonn. I hadnt realized why i was so set on fishing one year later. It was a closure thing.
When i returned home last year after fishing, i went into surgery the next day. I didnt get to eat the fish i had worked so hard to catch, and i spent the rest of the year learning to walk again.No hunting or fishing for the first time in my life.
So, this year i had it all set up to fish with some good buddiesfor that same week one year later.
I spent the first three days with a very good friend from high school and then the next three with two friends who have been friends for 15 years.
The first three days went fine I got my limit of Salmon the 14th and my friend got a 35lb fish the 15th. Things were good.
Then the next two passengers.
I knew that both guys liked thier adult beverages, and should have put my foot down when i saw them standing at the boat ramp holding a case of beer and nothing else.
And to give the reader a little more background , .. After almost being dead at 44 , my wife let me get a new boat, Brand New! I got a dandy , 20 ft Hewes , sea runner..
I have it set up with heat , stove , full canopy.
After hours of fishing in the rain and my friends drinking beer, we decided to cook hamburgers . Big mistake. I was the only person sober enough to drive the boat so i couldnt cook . I trusted the drunks.
Well, they burned the flooring of my new boat in three places!!! The cook had set hot items on the floor and melted the plastic covering. It tore the surface off the covering and now it soaks up water like a sponge. Grrrrrrrrrr.
They never offered me a dime for gas, launch fees or anything. Grrrrrrr. Ok . now im done .
Is a no drinking or no drunkard rule an unreasonable boat rule . I dont ever drink alcohol and think it my be a boat rule from now on.
Tell me your story , im sure someone has one much worse to make me feel better.... id. p.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
No time for he whole story right now, but...IT IS YOUR BOAT! Therefore your rules are the law. End of story. If no booze makes you happy, then no booze it is.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Good to have you back on the water!!! As for a no alcohol rule, your boat your rules. If someone doesn't like the rules they can fish from shore or buy their own boat.

Sounds like you have a great wife, keep your lines tight.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Took a couple of dock rats out tuna fishing with me a couple of seasons
ago. When they came on board, each was carrying a lunch sack and another
big shopping sack. Shortly after I crossed the bar, the beer came out ...
quart sized. They each had a couple of 'em. OK, no big deal, they wouldn't get
TOO drunk on a couple of quarts of beer apeice. Then they broke out the pot!!
:mad: :mad:

Didn't ask or anything, just started smoking on the back deck. I could smell
it up in the wheel house. Told them to keep that **** outa my wheel house as I
had too much to lose if the Coasties caught them doing that on my boat. I figued
they had had enough libations and smokables that I didn't trust them working on the
back deck, so I went out and started pulling the gear and putting it away. Dock rat
number two went into the wheelhouse, sat at the wheel and lit up!! I was out on the
back deck and didn't realise it! Last time those two will ever fish with me!! I now
make it clear to folks before they go that there is absolutly NO tolerance for either
beer or drugs on the boat! Too darned dangerous!! I have even prominatly displayed the
CG sticker on the boat that says that my vessel is a drug free work place and point it out
as folks board!! You want to do that sort of thing, fine by me ... just not on MY
boat!

-assAssin-

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Drinking and getting drunk in the boat are two diffrent things it's your boat you make the rule. I am too paranoid about someone getting killed to let people get drunk on the boat, a couple of beers or drinks is fine but all out drunk is a trip to shore.

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
I agree, you make the rules, it's you're boat. I someone can't repsect you're wishes, then they are not a good respecting buddy and can just fish off the bank. I don't mind a little brew in the summer months on my boat, but I'm always careful to watch how much is consumed. As the operator, I always stay pretty sober, and maintain some responsiblity for the others when I can. Bad things can happen in a heart beat on the water, and after you leave the ramp, something some people seem to ignore. To make a fatal mistake over alchohol would be something to haunt you for years to come. Go with what feels right for you and you only.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
A fews years back I went as a deckhand on my dads 26 foot trophy. He had invited some friends out (greenies) for a day of Salmon fishing on the salt. 20 mins into the ride, out came the bud 12oz cans. :shocked: 20 mins later as we rigged for trolling these 2 guys begin to stomp the empties on the gelcoat (fiberglass) deck :shocked: :mad:
Needless to say words were exchanged and these 2 jerks
couldn't understand what all the concerne was about. It was the last time they were takin out and the last time alcohol was allowed on the boat. So the moral is...YOUR BOAT YOUR RULES :wink:

·
Registered
14,198 Posts
Idaho Painter ... There are so many fishers who will not disrespect you, your boat or what you have to take on to go fishing. You have a choice of fishing partners. And as pointed out above .. Your boat, your rules. Although it is hard to find crew that cares as much about your stuff or your welfare as you do, it is possible. The alcohol is just a symptom of a larger problem. Lack of respect.

I've had a couple of 'friends' who are nowdays worthless in the boat or became that way shortly before they were PNG. Same exact deal ... who knows what they are thinking "lets see, not my boat, not my responsibility, I'll just suck on this 44 ouncer and turn into Captain Craphammer and ... oops .. I dropped the guys stuff into the water ... He'll never notice he is too busy driving the boat. Oh! @crack, splinter, [email protected], oops I busted that rod, its ok its a loomis, he'll just get a new one free ......."

They broke gear, burned and cut seats, stomped on graphite rods and just trashed my boat. It was all about drinking and being stupid. It was hard to kiss them off as they were long time friends .. but .. see ya!

Note: You will not see any of these individuals in or near my 'Pilar' ever again.

IDP, spend a few minutes looking for decent company in your boat, it's worth it. You know .. people who stick around when you get back to the dock to help out, who offer to tow your boat, buy gas or your lunch, tie tackle or even offer to help with repairs and maintenance. Some of those guys probably even drink beer, but I doubt if you will have the same problems with them.

Don't get me wrong. A beer or two while fishing is good sometimes. But you can get a snootful on the beach. Doing that in my boat doesn't work for me on any level. I have nothing against the happy juice. I've been known to pull a cork, now and then. But it is always at the cleaning station, After the trip is over that the serious mood altering happens. That first adult beverage after a long day at sea is always the best. :grin: Captain Craphammer does not belong at sea or in my boat.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Pilar, you hit it right on the head. Disrespect. I am hurt and upset by this , and yes as captin i know it is my fault. I really thought that for me to offer my boat, my experience, my tackle and rods would seem like a real treat and that they would return the favor by being extra helpful(respectful) (not).
The friend who spent the first days with me had offered to buy the motel and food and what ever we needed to fish with (bait, extra line ect....) He said that it was his contribution, seeing how i have the boat.... He caught the 35pounder. (good for him).
Having a boat that people actually want to be in is a new thing for me , and this is a valuable learning experience, its too bad it took a burned floor to learn it.
Ill be much more selective about fishing partners, and ill make my boat rules known LOUD and CLEAR.
But, so far Pilar is the only one with a story that made me feel better(broken Loomis) , thats what i need to hear.... Still not a burned boat flooring. Ill be kicking myself in the *** for some time to come. Like every time i board my boat for the next ? anount of time....id. p.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
20 years ago I took a couple guys out of Yaquina bay for some salmon fishing and crabbing. We were still in the bay when they started sharing a joint. It was an awkward situation because I work with these guys, I respect their fishing ability, and otherwise they were good people. I asked them to put it out and they did. Later in the day I smell the stinkweed again, they are huddled together thinking they were really hiding something. These are pretty intelligent people otherwise. What does that weed do to a persons brain? I didn't say anything to them anymore. In fact, whenever I have needed people to fill seats in the boat, I haven't said anything to them for the last 20 years.
Typo edit.

[ 04-22-2003, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Snapset ]

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
I don't have a problem with people having a libation of either the liquid or the smoking kind. I care about people with substance abuse and judgement problems, and avoid associating with them. I think you can detect them from the quantities of beer that they bring. Someone who brings a half rack of beer for three people is not liable to cause issues. Two guys who show up with a case each are trouble, especially if one of the cans is already open at 5am.

I haven't had real bad luck with guests. My worst guest was the husband of a friend of my wife's. He came out salmon fishing. Didn't bring anything, used my gear, lost ten bucks worth of tackle, won the pool (only fish that day), didn't pitch in for gas, and said that he needed all the fish for a barbeque he and his wife were having, that we didn't get invited to.

Needless to say, he and I don't fish together any more.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by AuntyM:
I wish I could share my worst boat passenger story, but alas, it would be so offensive that it wouldn't be allowed under the acceptable use policy. :wink:

It's OK though... Both me and my boat survived. :cheers:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">but my ribs didn't...... :mad: Hey Pilar I was there and it was a near catasrophe. It was a clear example of arrogance.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I can't share a boat story, as folks i fished with back home when I had my rig were good friends and excellent fisherman. I can however, relate a story about ice fishing. As you may or may not know, back in Minnesota (ya you betcha) we fish year round, in a boat, from shore and on the ice. I had given the ok to a couple of work aquantencies to use my Ice House for a weekend of fishing. I gave them instructions on how to use my auger, fish finder, rods and reels. I wasn't aware however that I would also have to give them instructions on where to use the bathroom, put out smokes, take away trash etc. To my surprise on my next outing, i had dicovered the inside floor was used to snuff out smokes (it was carpeted) the holes inside the house were used to dispose of the smokes, the entry way just outside the house was stained yellow, and frozen, there was a suprise dingdong near the back of the house and they failed to properly take care of their personal items, beer can and can used to smoke weed (they must have been hard up to smoke up through a can) were left lying on the inside, and to my real surprise, the door was left open, blowing in the wind, a small hill of snow accumolating inside the house. Needless to say, this was a big eye opener for me, and they never were invited nor allowed to use my ice house again--

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats exactly what i need right now ,,,, a fist fight (good one), a submerged kicker with dinged up prop, (even better).
I could have elaborated more , there were several almost disasters that i headed off at the time .Im still so angry i could spit.
I have a 10 year old son who is a real good kid, I love fishing with him and he has no drinking problem. Ive trained him well and he knows how to behave on a boat.
I only took bubbies cause i would have to get my son out of school for a week.
He gets all A's on report cards,,, Ill take him next time ,even if he has to miss a little school.
Thanks for letting me vent here. id. p.

·
Registered
480 Posts
id Painter, taking the son seems like the best bet. I got mostly A's in high school and even managed to graduate from college with good memories of skipping school to fish with dad as a youngster. Some of the lessons I learned on those days have been far more important in life than anything learned in school :smile:

·
Registered
14,198 Posts
Hey IDP, that's all behind you now.

Think about the fun we'll have this summer chasing the silver bullets. You'll find out what you've been missing in fishing partners when you see this group in action out on the blue Pacific, at the Dopey bay cleaning station bribing the harbormaster with a whole tuna to leave it open late and on the side of the road when someone needs help with a broken trailer.

I see dead fish, they are everywhere ..........

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are right, im looking to the good times ahead.
I just needed to vent somewhere where someone would understand.
Im excited to chase tuna and think that i have found an awsome group to learn from... id. p.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
My story is similar to Pilars, only I didn't go along on the trip. One of my fishing buddies asked to borrow my electric trolling motor so they could go bass fishing, no problem, what could go wrong with that? Well they didn't tighten the motor down to the boat, just left it hanging off the side, so the first wake they hit, off pops the motor and right to the bottom of the lake! So you would think that I would be getting a new trolling motor (if I lost one due to stupidity or not I would replace it), well not so! However my ex-fishing partner now has a new electric trolling motor for HIS boat that I can BORROW any time I like! Somehow he thought that solved the problem of my lost motor! :mad: How is that for rude! And no, we do not fish together or even talk anymore.

Scott

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Well- I'll leave the relatives out of this but,

Lessee...I had a bunch of ifishers on the boat last year for the first time. They were all great company! There was this one guy who bought dinner, slept on the boat, then got up at 5 am and went home though. Something about a bad back? Since he left a bottle of nice hootch behind I guess he was OK! :grin: :wink:

There was this trip though I invited 3 ifishers I didn't know along. They were good company, we had some laughs, but for some reason the fishing really stunk. What was weird was that the fishing was so bad even though one guy was illegally chumming all day! Couldn't figure it out so I decided it was just better not to invite them back! If you see these guys on the water (or if they show up at the ramp to go with you) be warned, it could be a real dry day!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts