IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been registered and lurking for a little while now and thought it's time to post my story. So here goes.....

A little back ground:
I've lived in WA for the majority of my life, except for the college years where I went to AZ. I grew up on the banks of the Tilton river (Morton, WA)perfecting my fly fishing technique on the not so abundant cut throat. When I finally turned 16 and got my first truck, I was down at the Cowlitz just about everyday before school and then after school/work. (Blue Creek, barrier dam). Took me a while before I figured out what I was doin, but after that first 17lb steely, there was no turnin back.

This past X-mas I got to experience my first Salt water trip. My wife and I decided to abandon the family for one Xmas and head for Cabo San Lucas. I had a charter booked before we left and couldn't sleep for a month before we got there, dreaming of that huge Marlin that was gonna drag me out of the boat. Well, we arrived, and the boat was not exactly what we were expecting, but it was afloat, full of gear, and the captain guaranteed at least Dorado, so away we went. At first, no problems (we were still in the bay), smooth sailin, then as soon as we got out of the bay, I noticed the waves getting bigger, and they seemed to be splashing into the back of the boat, being a newbie to the salt water fishin, this scared the tarnations outa me and my wife. So there we were, cruising these huge waves(to us anyways), and turning green by the second. About 20min into this, my wife looks over to me and says, what have we done, I don't think I can do this all day. Not more than 30 seconds later, she bolts for the "facilities" and begins the chumming ritual. About the time she was done I look up and see the far left pole dancin and singin away "FISH ON" the first mate grabs the pole hands it off to me and I land a very nice size Dorado, what a blast. I love those fighting chairs, wish we had some in our boat for sturgeon sometimes. A very short time later we hook into the second Dorado (much smaller than the first), and I'm trying to get my wife to come fight this fish and all's she could do was lift her head up and glare at me with the "I'm so sick I can't even speak" look.....we only lasted aprox 2 hours and I had to tell the captain to turn back......don't know that I have ever seen my wife so sick. I never did get sick, just very uncomfortable, but after that first fish....I could have stayed out there all day, NO FEAR....show me the MARLIN. Well we got back to the docks, and suddenly the wife was fine....very happy about that, as I was worried it was going to last all day, and it was only 9:30AM. Great Mexico trip, other than getting hornswaggled by a taxi/tour bus scam, but that's another story.

Sorry for the novel.
I look forward to sharing my fishing successes and woes...and gleaning all the how to info I can. This board is great and I can't wait to be part of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Moley: I about died crossing the channel and thought I could never go out in the ocean--also puked alot as a kid going out in my uncle's boat out of Coos Bay. A nurse friend told me about Bonine the trade name of an antiemetic (keeps you from barfing and feeling sick). I took her word and the bonine and went out for a whole day out of Kauai to snorkle and whale watch. NO PROBLEM. People were chumming all around me and I was eating lunch and having a great time. Last year I took my adult children and their spouses out to fish for Ono off of the north shore of Kauai. My kids listened to their mom, fancy that, and took the bonine as did I. The mates did not. The guy offered chum to the fish gods, the gal white knuckled it and had a miserable time. The kids and I had a great time, caught a tuna and an ono or 2. In Hawaii you can buy Bonine in the grocery story for about $4. The active ingredient is Meclizine Hydrochloride 25 mg. Never have tried to buy it in Oregon or Washington, but my doctor friend says it can be had by prescription if in no other way. May you have happy voyages in the future. E2

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi E2

Thanks for the info.
I don't know if my wife will ever want to go again, but I know if/when we do, I'll be looking into this stuff.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Welcome aboard! Now how about that newbie fish picture, Just kidding. My poll got barfed off of ifish.net.

SKP

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I thought I'd give this picture posting a shot. Hope this works. This was the biggest of the two I caught. It had been in the fish box for a while before I got this picture (I didn't bring my sea legs with me, and could hardly stand up), so the brilliant colors of these fish are not real apparant in this pic.

[ 07-25-2003, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Moley Molson ]

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well tarnations! Thats a Hanford Reach Bullhead! :grin: I can tell from the glow-green color & that bulbous head! Welcome aboard matee.

Full Freezer

·
Registered
803 Posts
Welcome aboard Moley, I'm with E2, Bonine works for me too. I get it at the local Walmart for about 4 bucks over the counter. Good Luck...sal

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Sea Bands. Amazing how well they work for Soozy and I. Welcome aboard Moley.

[ 07-26-2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts