IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting article in the latest BoatUs magazine that came in the mail today regarding the e-10 affects on glass and aluminum tanks both desiel and gas. Specifically mentioned were Bertrum and Hatteras boats as an example. E-20 is also out there and you should be aware of it's terrible affects to your tanks and motors. Thought this was good to bring up since we are just about at the end of our offshore boating seasons (for most of us anyways). YOu can access the article at Boatus.com if you register and get passwords. Many of us really need to pay attention to these articles and break out the fuel stabilizers for our boats and motors this fall when we pack it in for the long winter nap.

E-10 and 20 fuels are a real danger to your tank and engines and if left untreated will seriously damage your motors. If "ethonol becomes saturated, which can happen when it sits for long periods, the thanol seperates from the gasoline, forming two seperate solutions. This is called phase separation and it's bad news for the engine. An engine won't run on the water soaked ethanol solution, which sinks to the bottom of the tank and is highly corrosive." Did you ifishers get that???? Highly corrosive!!!!! "There is no quick fix. Once phase separation occurs, additives and water separators can't help; the only remedy is to have gasoline/ethanol/ water pumped from the tank." Ouch!!!

Here is what I found interesting: "How can E-10, which attracts moisture and can fall apart, be expected to survive the winter? With any fuel that will be sitting for a long time, it is important to add stablizer to extend the life of the fuel." Now get this: "What a stablizer won't do, however, is prevent Phase Separation".

So how do we prevent this issue from ruining our halibut openers or spring bottomfishing spur of the moment trips? " "Fill your tank to 95% full (allows for expansion). Atank that's almost full reduces the flow of air into and out of the vent, which reduces condensation on the tank walls. Wny condensation that does form will be absorbed by the gasoline". In other words don't leave tanks half full and expect wonderful things in the spring.

Another tip is to actually run your boat during the winter months to stir the tanks a bit. Dont' plug the vent hole whatever you do. You can really screw up a presurized system by doing this.

Just a friendly reminder that the off season is coming and it is time to prepare.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've been wondering: why couldn't we just plug the vent with some sort of balloon device? This would give plenty of room for controlled expansion, yet keep it a closed system. I suppose it's a hassle to keep a balloon hanging off the transom, but it really shouldn't be that difficult to implement.

·
Registered
14,191 Posts
Couple more things. That ethanol 10% mixture is available at cut rate stations year round, you have to look for the little yellow signs or ask the station owner. The other thing is that some Metro areas are required by DEQ to use ethanol in winter fuel sold within a certain area. The place I know about is Portland. I'm sure there are others.

Nov 15 to Feb 29 this winter.

So what I try to do is run the tank down on the last trip of the year. Then fill the boat full using Sta-bil at a station that I know is not selling the ethanol blend. Then run for a few miles on the river to warm up for an oil change. This also makes sure the Sta-bil is mixed and pulled in through all filters, fuel lines and carb bowls. I burn 5 gallons on 'Kismet' on the storage run for the 5% headspace in the tank for expansion.

After the oil is changed back the boat in and fog the engine for storage. If you can run the carb dry at the same time that is a bonus.

Be careful about leaving the boat bow high on the trailer on that last step or you will get the water in the downhill end of the tank sucked in. Which will make all your hard work go wrong. Just go ahead and launch it. The ramp is deserted in late October anyway.

The gas will store for 6 months with no issue. Or at least it has for me unless I leave the boat outside. It won't burn perfect but you can use it for your spring check run.

Cheapest gas like ARCO will almost always have the ethanol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts