IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jennie; I hope Bill does press charges against the scum bag that stole your canoe. We have all had something stolen or vandalized and have been unable to catch anyone. If more people were prosecuted maybe the next one would pause before indulging in that activity.

·
Administrator
119,500 Posts
Hi there--

I spose some people are wondering what this is regarding--
Here's my front page:

I keep an 8 foot Coleman canoe on the river beach, out in front of the house for when I want to paddle around. It's lovely this time of year when the water is cool and clear and you can see, clear to the bottom of the deepest holes. I love it, so much!
Yesterday, I went down to paddle, but it was too windy, so I took a seat in the canoe, and just sat to watch the dogs play. It was so hot that Rev dug a hole under the canoe, and used it for a cave. It made me giggle. It was so warm, yesterday! Warm, and windy, and odd.
I left the canoe after a bit, and went up to take a short nap. Since my surgery, I've been tired. For some reason, when I can't see, when the world is a blur, it makes me sleepy.
When I woke up, the wind had died, some, so I went back down to the river, with the dogs. The canoe! It was gone! It had been wedged up high in the sand, safe from people who might want to take it. It's pretty heavy for me, but the boys and Bill help me haul it up the bank. The trails of where someone had slid it into the water, along with their footprints were clearly cut into the sand.
I quickly walked back to the house. "Bill! The canoe! The canoe is gone!"
Bill dropped what he was doing in the kitchen, and headed for the truck. First stop would be the park, up above. It had only been a couple hours since I had left the canoe in its place on the beach.
Thinking by any odd chance that the canoe had been blown off the beach and sunk, I head back out to the river. I squinted, trying to see into the sun lit river. Bill stopped on the road and yelled down to me. "Any sign of it?" I shook my head and he revved the truck up, and headed to the 101 bridge.
Giving up, I walked back to the house, disgusted. I loved that canoe! Who would just take it? Of all the nerve!
Soon enough, the phone rang. "I got him! Sort of!" Bill panted.
When he turned the corner, he stopped his truck on the bridge. From this viewpoint, he peered upstream and sure enough! There was a man with long hair and a beard, with our canoe by his side, standing in the chum shallows!
Bill quickly pulled his truck around to the boat launch, grabbed his pistol, and shot a warning shot into the air, while yelling at him. The man, nearly 200 yards upstream ran so fast, and in such fear, that Bill said he almost left his pants, behind! Caught! Red handed!
The man dashed for the woods, and pretty soon Bill heard a car engine start. A blue and white truck, came speeding past Bill. Lucky for Bill, he got his license plate number, and it is a local resident, here in Tillamook.
Of all the nerve! It just feels strange to have someone try to steal something from you. I'd never really had it happen, before, but it feels so invasive! That's MY canoe, buddy!
Bill reported the theft to the police, complete with license plate number, model and make of the old truck the guy drove.
Later, when we were in bed, the police called to come take a report. They had located the guy, I guess.
I don't know what will happen, next, but Bill is mad enough about this to press charges, and you know? I don't blame him. You don't just take someone's property home with you. I'll never forget how it feels to have something like this stolen. Especially something that brings me such joy on the river. There are icky cigarette butts in the canoe that belong to this guy, I guess. I'm going to go clean it out and take it for a spin.
But, first-- I have to clean all fo the icky thief-germs off of it. :)

·
Administrator
119,500 Posts
--and now, since it's not fishing related, I'll move it to LIG.
:)

Jen

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Bill quickly pulled his truck around to the boat launch, grabbed his pistol, and shot a warning shot into the air, while yelling at him. The man, nearly 200 yards upstream ran so fast, and in such fear, that Bill said he almost left his pants, behind!
That right there has got to be a little satisfying! Ace hardware has bike locks and chains.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Sure am glad you got your canoe back. Sounds like you really enjoy it. I would not have wanted to be the guy that took it , especially when I hear the warning shot. Good for Bill! And you! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
Yes, please press charges against this dirt bag, for all of the reasons already stated. And, another thought re those butts - - - before cleaning them out (and, assuming the police didn't do this), maybe take a photo or two and then (without touching them - - tweezers or ???) put a few into a zip-lock bag just in case the police need the additional evidence later. :twocents: Don

·
Administrator
119,500 Posts
Oh, goodie! Playing Law and Order! I'll do that! Yucko!

Anyhow, I paddled around today a bit. It was nice out there. Sure glad we got it back!

I found the red ribbon that we had on the end of the boat for a red flag for travel, buried in the sand. Plus, some of the rope that he cut off, buried, too! What a jerk! Just thinking about me sleeping upstairs, while a guy, not 100 feet away is ripping me off makes my blood boil.

The reason I don't carry is clear to me, now. I'd a shot the sucker I woulda been so mad! :laugh: I'm kidding, I think... but man, I would have been shaking if I'd have seen him with the canoe! THAT'S MINE, BUDDY! Put em up! Put emmmmm up!!!!!!!!

Jen

·
Registered
921 Posts
Man, Jennie, that sure sucks. Especially where you guys live...it would never have been something I would expect. I guess there are thieves no matter where you are. Kind of depressing...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
:laugh:Mr. T Glad you got it back Jennie. I think charges should be filed, maybe the thief will learn from this.:cheers:

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Please prosecute him for the rest of us, letting him get off only allows him to continue to steal from the rest uf us with confidence.

kind of concerned about the warning shot though...good luck with that.

gus

·
Administrator
119,500 Posts
I asked Bill about the warning shot, as I was concerned, also. But, he was way out in the country, and I guess the cop had no problem with it... so?

I'm not a big gun person. I personally don't like their use or get near them myself... but it seemed to work and the policeman was OK with it.

Funny... I told Bill, "So, shall I leave the part out about the gun when I write the story?" Thinking much the same as you... But, I guess it's an OK thing to do? Bill fully told the policeman the whole story.

Kinda bugs me that it's OK to fire a shot out in the woods, wherever you like. Scary!

Jen

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm like you Jennie...I figure that guy got off lucky since the shot was only into the air. I'm not a big gun person but I think you have to assume that if he's willing to steal he might be willing to preform other criminal acts as well. I try to not be too paranoid but anytime I go camping with the family I always carry.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Im glad you got it back the way you did. Just think if Bill wasnt carrying a gun. The confrontation would have led to a whole different situation in getting it back. Excellent job Bill, Im glad everything worked out the way it did! Throw the book at him!!Jennie, did you put the plaster in the foot prints yet for evidence?:applause:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Sincee he was a local, they should put his picture on the front page of the Tillamook paper so everyone will see it and watch out for the guy. If they did that more often, maybe these jerks that live in small towns would realize that everyone hates the thieves.

·
Registered
17,793 Posts
Sincee he was a local, they should put his picture on the front page of the Tillamook paper so everyone will see it and watch out for the guy. If they did that more often, maybe these jerks that live in small towns would realize that everyone hates the thieves.
Especially when folk start refusing service to them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great to catch a thief!!! Wish Bill would have shot a video of the creep than maybe "the shot" after he had him on film! Could have ran it on the net for all to see after giving it to the police!!! Real glad you got your canoe back to enjoy!!!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Well why did he not do what the FBI does and shoot him in the back ....
Agent 1
"Hmmm....six shots in the back. "

Agent 2
"Yup. No clearer case of suicide to me."

Agent 1
"Case closed."

Good for you on catching that dirt bag.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts