IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
2341 - 2360 of 2398 Posts

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Congrats! What stock is it and what made you decide to bet the farm?

You only need to hold the stock for 12 months for it to be taxed in the long term bracket, and yes, most people are at the 15% long term capital gains tax bracket. People with ordinary income somewhere over $400K have a 20% capital gains tax.
It's a choice I made, I had the money in bank making interest of 1.5% then it dropped to what.4% I have been watching companies that lost or almost bankrupt from covid, i chose Hertz HTZZ and HTZZW, .by reviewing 5 year performance, they did a restructuring so symbols have changed to do a long term preformance review now, if I recall was $46 and now at $6, I remember one old timer say if you are going to make money it sometimes takes GUTS, so by the time I got my Merrill Edge account set up it was now $8.50, so I jumpped in and bought a lot of American airlines also, as of 2.5 monthes proffit is plus $220k, ........AA is going to be sold it will take 5 more years to make $5 bucks. Hertz seems to be regaining and with international air travel opening up Looks hopeful.

Reactions: ampersat

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
NVDA continues to perform well. They dipped in March and came back like a lion. Strong company for the modern economy.
Still holding onto NVDA? Its been on a great run lately. I bought in a couple years and don't really plan on selling anytime soon . All the technological applications the company is involved it seem to really be going strong and getting stronger.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
NVDA still going strong back at all time highs. Took a quick dip below $200 during the market correction and closed today at $321. I was really tempted to by there but held off thinking it was dropping more with the uncertainty. I did buy another 100 shares around $230.
Kicking myself big time for selling this one. Got out at $450 for a tidy profit. Since then, it did a 4-1 split and is now back to $310. Serious money left on the table……

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,345 ·
Same with me, squeezed 10-15% out of NVDA on a little correction then got out. Stupid. Some of the growth stocks are back in biz. Selling too early is back to being a problem. Good times!
Bought some gamer ZNGA yesterday pre earnings and it's up 8% today post earnings. 7.6 now with average PT of around 10-12. Bought a little more this am.

·
Premium Member
19,579 Posts
I put in a $106 order and canceled it when it pulled back right after the open. Don't like the price action. You'd have to be in on the IPO to make a quick buck on it today. Looks like it will close in 2 hours at less than its open.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,356 ·
Did a little shopping today and even though I have a lot in cash, took a pretty big hit. A necessary correction for the Nasdaq though. Quick buck? Buy Data Dog at 80, lol.
With gas prices high, some of the pipeline LLP's look pretty good for some growth and big dividends. Sold CLR after a big run up, and it looks like it's going to be a trading stock, at least for awhile. Same with SCHN and FCX, lots of sideways action, despite good projected earnings and very low PE's.
I still like Crowd Strike on dips, even though some analysts have downgraded it to "hold." Any corporation with a brain (do corp's have brains?) are investing loads in cyber security. No idea where to make a quick buck other than the ones that have already been winners, and you just never know when they are going to correct 5-10-15%...if not more.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,358 · (Edited)
One I have been nibbling at over the last few days is AVLR. Posted better than expected earnings and future guidance and price target has been bumped to 220 by some analysts and it appears to be looking for a bottom at around 158-160. Cloud based software tax compliance solutions focusing on cross border transactions.. Recently teamed up with Shopify. Seattle based. Does anyone have any familiarity with AVLR? What do you think?
Tax compliance software and automated solutions - Avalara

FCX copper miner up.8% and I bought some more yesterday. Based on recent history, I'd do well to sell it today. SCHN up good too.
Alt energy Enphase, PLUG and Solar Edge trending back up.
Energy Transfer still looks good to me for some growth and massive dividends. ET.
Local chip maker AOSL still headed up.
After plunging 7% yesterday, Mercadolibre MELI looks like a good bet to me. Yesterday was painful, but I closed my eyes and bought 5 more shares.

·
Registered
13,294 Posts
Wish I understood what was going on with my Hertz stock this week. Bought it just before it split into two stocks (HTZ and HTZWW) a few months ago, stock has been doing well. This week I check it premarket and I am down 95% on the HTZ stock, Ameritrade showed the HTZ stock at a buck and change. I read the news and see the "re-ipo", stock opens later in the day and it is down a bit but back up into the high 20's. After market Ameritrade shows my HTZWW is gone and I have about 10 times more HTZ stock. I cant figure out why that happened. The next morning Ameritrade shows my HTZWW stock is back, and my share count of HTZ is back to where it was?????????????? Wish I would have taken some screen shots of the share counts and prices as they bounced around. Must have been an Ameritrade snafu

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Wish I understood what was going on with my Hertz stock this week. Bought it just before it split into two stocks (HTZ and HTZWW) a few months ago, stock has been doing well. This week I check it premarket and I am down 95% on the HTZ stock, Ameritrade showed the HTZ stock at a buck and change. I read the news and see the "re-ipo", stock opens later in the day and it is down a bit but back up into the high 20's. After market Ameritrade shows my HTZWW is gone and I have about 10 times more HTZ stock. I cant figure out why that happened. The next morning Ameritrade shows my HTZWW stock is back, and my share count of HTZ is back to where it was?????????????? Wish I would have taken some screen shots of the share counts and prices as they bounced around. Must have been an Ameritrade snafu
Strange, I too bought in, and if I recall my stock was htz or htzz? Then they restructured and my money was split into 20%at $20 htzz and 80% htzzw @ $8.50, it took a big hit last few days but still way ahead, but after all if your in it for the long run don't look but once or twice a year, or you will get ulcers.
HOLY SHEEP S##T ,I just checked on Merril Edge and my symbols changed too, to HTZ and HTZWW ?.?? But my values have not jumped for for no good reason.

2341 - 2360 of 2398 Posts