IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you will all get a kick out of this one. I would like to know if there is anything you guys know of to get the stink out of clothes and shoes besides throwing them away? I am the sorry guy that picks up the fish cleaning staion dumpsters and man are they ripe!!! lol looks like you guys have had a great summer here in Depoe so far take care and good luck

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I'm sure you will all get a kick out of this one. I would like to know if there is anything you guys know of to get the stink out of clothes and shoes besides throwing them away? I am the sorry guy that picks up the fish cleaning staion dumpsters and man are they ripe!!! lol looks like you guys have had a great summer here in Depoe so far take care and good luck

That is funny and I don't care who you are:laugh::laugh: I am sure the dogs who use the charking station in DBay appreciate your efforts, but no, I don't know how to get the stink out.

·
Registered
17,793 Posts
Just put them in a bag and when its clean the fish cleaning station time - change into them in the restroom, do your thing and then change out of them - or maybe we can get a donation together to get you a set of pibs, and rain coat so you can put on your (cough cough) fully body "protection"!

Thanks for your hard work - that has got to be a dirty job - hit up Mike Roe of Dirt Jobs and see if he will come clean the station and garbage bins and dump truck with you for a day

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Since you've already got the "tuna clothes," why don't you come fishing with me? It would be fun to get you on the other side of the equation.

Seriously.

Skein

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
J
Thanks for your hard work - that has got to be a dirty job - hit up Mike Roe of Dirt Jobs and see if he will come clean the station and garbage bins and dump truck with you for a day
I could imagine the jokes that Mike Rowe would have for that episode!:passout:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Try adding about a pint of white vinegar to your wash water. It's also great for removing fish and onion odor from hands. Just wash hands with soap, splash on vinegar and scrub, wash again with soap.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Try adding about a pint of white vinegar to your wash water. It's also great for removing fish and onion odor from hands. Just wash hands with soap, splash on vinegar and scrub, wash again with soap.
My wife went thru a gallon of viniger trying to clean the stink from my cloths before giving up.

TUNA CLOTHS ARE FOREVER

Maybe sent block like we use for Archery cloths cleaning, but that would get expensive. Rubber suit is best.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
I've got a container of sportwash I'd be happy to send you. I don't know if it will get all the stink out, but it's worth a try. It's supposed to remove all odors and blood - but I don't know if it was tested on fish stank. PM me your address and I'll get it in the mail.

Thanks for keeping the fish cleaning stations clean. :cheers:

ETA: I'm washing my stinky tuna clothes from Friday now, along with the towels and stuff from carking, so I'll report on the results.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, I'm no tuna fisherman, but I have cleaned a fair amount of tuna, including a literal "boatload" for a buddy in early July-still wondering how I got talked into that one. I thought there was no hope for the clothes I was wearing. They still stunk after the first wash. Then I remembered a tip I read on here for using GOJO cleaner for coolers, so I though I would try it on my clothes. A few days ago I squrited a bunch on the clothes, but it in the washer with regular laundry detergent, washed it on hot and they came out great. In fact I wore the jeans to work today and nobody complained, so it must have worked.
Paul J

·
"The Old Salt"
10,945 Posts
Store the TUNA clothes in a plastic bag and only wear them when dealing with TUNA
:alert:DO NOT wash them and put them in the dresser with your non TUNA clothes or you will have a lot of stinky clothes DON'T ASK

The up side is in the off season you can get a little fix by opening the bag and taking a wiff
That will get you daydreaming of the upcoming season and help with the jones'
You can also wear them to the TA meetings
the smell may offend your waitress but the Dogs will not even notice

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dirty in Depoe,

The best stuff I've found is Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent.

If you put them in the wash as soon as you get home they usually come out good the 1st time. I use a water fill level one size bigger than the load and always use the maximum amount of detergent suggested on the box. I usually start the wash cycle for about 5 mins then stop and let it soak for 20 mins, then continue.

If you wait until the next day you will need to wash them 2-3 times to get the stink out.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
My clothes are outside hanging on the fence in between my boat and the next door neighbors new Striper.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I was taken out by Kenai this weekend for my first tuna venture and of course am now hooked ... left the rubber bibs and boots in the bed of the trunk, removed the clothes and put them in 5 gallon bucket with detergent to soak ... but what I didn't expect is the smell from my leatherman. We were improvising and using it as a head spike, I thought I had washed it off good, even gave it a soak in hot water ... my wife came down and said, good lord what stinks ... and we realized it was my leatherman, and my wife wanted to know what kind of fishing I was doing that would make metal stink ...
I'm taking the advise of friends, going to Goodwill and spending $10 on pants, shirt and whatever, they'll go in the trash end of season.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I just take one of my tuna coolers add a cup or so of bleach put a few gallons of water and soak them after soaking just throw them in the washer. The remaining bleach in the cooler works great for cleaning the cooler.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I wash mine with good ol' borax. Also I repeat the process again after the final rinse. then dry and for the most part it's gone. if not I repeat.

borax is some GREAT stuff with lots of different uses.

·
Registered
162 Posts
" why don't you come fishing with me? It would be fun to get you on the other side of the equation.

Seriously."

Good on you...............:clap:

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Don't ever get rid of the "tuna clothes"!!!

They live in the garage and you put them on as you leave the house for fishing. I have a number of garments that fall under that category. :)

·
Banned
15,714 Posts
If you roll around in this for 5 or 6 hours....

You end up looking like this....

Disposable clothing? You decide. :laugh:

I'm so dead..... :jester:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts