IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband asked me to post the following questions:

Will Stihl 2-stroke oil work for an Evinrude 6 outboard motor?
and
What is the best choice for mix oil?

Thanks for any input on this.

~Melissa

· Registered
5,162 Posts
Probably would work in an emergency. Oils for air cooled and water cooled motors have different additives. Oil mix is maybe 50:1?:shrug:

· Registered
29 Posts
My husband asked me to post the following questions:

Will Stihl 2-stroke oil work for an Evinrude 6 outboard motor?
and
What is the best choice for mix oil?

Thanks for any input on this.

~Melissa
The Stihl Oil in a outboard engine is not a good ideal.

The oils formulated for air cooled and water cooled engines are completely different. To use one for the other application is an invitation for premature engine failure.

Pick a good oil formulated for outboard engines and mix according to the engine instructions. The mix ratio will vary according the the make, model, and year the engine was manufactured. Find out what your mix ratio is and stick with it.

Call any good marina and provide them with the engine information and they can tell you what the mix ratio is. They can also give you some good information about the oils that are available on the market today.

The only change in your mix ratio should be because of the type of outboard oil used. The semi synthetic and full synthetic outboard oils will will have different mix ratios. These type of oils may be mixed at the same ratio as the conventional outboard oils or up to the ratios recommended by the oil producers.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
461 Posts
By the way air cooled two strokes have more issues with oiling than do water cooled two strokes thus the oils formulated for air cooled two strokes are of a better quality in general than the ones for water cooled engines, Example the oils used in 2 stroke motercycles and 14000 rpm Husquvarna and maybe even stihl saws.
In a pinch, don't see a problem but why, West Marine has really great outboard oil, read the independent tests,NO OUTBOARD MANUFACTURER MAKES OIL !!

· Registered
9,675 Posts
Stihl is nominally a 50:1 ratio as are 90%+ of the outboards. With outboards you can stretch it a bit if you don't operate at wide open throttle. If your motor is still under warrenty it probably requires TW-3 spec oil.

Synthetic is worth the bit of extra money. Buy it in bulk if you use a lot. I am a stilh fan, I wouldn't hesitate to use it in an outboard.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
One type is not "better" than the other, but there is a difference in air cooled and water cooled 2 stroke oil. Air cooled motors typically run at higher temps than water cooled ones, so the additives are different. For long engine life don't mix and match, just get what's needed for each type. For ten bucks he can get a gallon of TCW3 oil at Wal-Mart and since the mid 60's it's been 50 to 1 for most outboards.

I didn't mean this to say anything about synthetics, it was to the statement that air cooled 2 stroke oils are better than water cooled ones. They're different so that they don't leave deposits at the different operating temps, there are good oils in both categories.

· Registered
599 Posts
But seriously, The basic rule is:
TCW3 for water cooled 2 cycle (outboard motors).
TC3 for air cooled 2 cycle (chain saws, etc).

I won't matter if its conventional or synthetic. They're all made to the same specs to comply with the respective usage ratings.

· Registered
6,545 Posts
I'm with you there. I don't see much of a difference in carbon build up when I tear down motors, but the smell of the non synthetic stuff really sucks. I've gone to using a fairly expensive synthetic with my little boat, that actually smells good. Sitting next to a stinky engine all day isn't any fun.

I'm too cheap to run it on the big boat, though, and it really doesn't smoke too bad when warmed up or underway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.