IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please keep Steve Koler in your thoughts and prayers.

I don't know how many of you know this, but he suffered a stroke recently, while out fishing with clients. The clients were able to get the boat in, and call for help.

He was released, I heard, and doing well, but now I hear he was taken back to the hospital yesterday.

He deserves many more years on the river. A guy with a serious love for, and dedication to fishing...

Jen

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Jen, thanks for the update. Keep us informed. Steve is a good guy. Saw him give a clinic on fishing with sand shrimp. He showed the way to tell if the shrimp were any good. He put it in his mouth and ate the thing. Now that is dedication. JD

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have fished with Steve a couple of times and have always caught fish. He is very good at what he does. My family will keep him in our prayers. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Jen, Thanks for the update. I fished in the camp he used to have on the Kenai and also bought my Willie Sled from him 10 yrs ago its still catching fish. Will keep him in my thoughts.

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
I owe a lot to Steve. He taught me how to springer fish on the Willamette, fish hogs on the Kenai, steelehead on the Deschutes :bowdown: . A number of times he would call me out of the blue when he had an open seat and let me tag along with him and his clients. He was never shy about showing me where to go or how to do it.

I have a ton of fishing stories from back in our wilder and crazier days. The best might be the one of the cute little blonde girl that I met in one of his camps on the Deschutes. Today she's my wife. :smile:

Get well Steve. Hope to see you on the river soon!!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Does anyone have an update on Steve Koler? I certainly hope this NW Legend gets well soon. Any info. would be appreciated.

Rusty

[ 05-13-2003, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Rusty ]

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like to know, too. I'll write to his cuz.

Jen

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have Dudley on the phone, Steve's cousin.

Steve had yet another stroke. Moved him up to U of O medical school tonight, I guess, to do more testing.

He can speak fine, I guess, and is doing well, considering the circumstances.

Jen

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
thanks for the update Jen.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
A friend of mine had a trip booked with him for last Saturday and Steve actually called him from the hospital to let him know he couldn't make it. :shocked:

Now that's dedication to your customers!

Hang in there Steve, you've still got alot of fishin time in you!

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Steve is a cool guy and guide! I was surprised some 12 years ago that he told me one of his favorite recipies for curing eggs. Most guides wouldn't give you the time of day much less their secret recipe.

Heck of a guy and one of my very few respected guides that is up there with Buzz.

Dan

[ 05-18-2003, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

·
Registered
519 Posts
I always like to sit in on his demo's at the sportsman shows, lots of good tips, and a gentleman on the river, hope he's back very soon.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
This is very sad indeed. I won a half-day trip with Steve years ago and payed for my wife to go along. She got her fish and was pleased. We talked about his growing up and learning the Willamette during our trip. Very sharp fisherman and highly dedicated.

Definitely our prayers are with you, Steve. Get well and back out on the river!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Steve will be in my prayers and thoughts. This gives me an ill feeling to think that one of the very best and most respected has fallen down for a minute. Lets wish him a speedy recovery.

Get Well
Joe Salvey

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
from Steve's cousin: :depressed:

...just got off the phone with Mike Koler:
Steve has been up at OHSU for observation. A decision was made not to do surgery on him yesterday and the doctors
released him. Last night while in bed he had another Stroke and this time it is more severe. His Right side is paralyzed and he cannot speak. He is back at Meridian
Park hospital. I am praying this won't be permanent. I love Steve, he is a great guy and deserves many more years on the rivers. I don't think the doctors are sure of
what the cause is. Apparently his Cholesterol levels are low and his arteries are clear but there is some kind of damage to some vessels to his brain.

For those of you that do: Please pray for Steve.

Love Tony

[ 05-17-2003, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Premium Member
22,117 Posts
Visiting hours?

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dunno. Shall we call, and see?

Jen

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Jennie,

That was a very heart breaking, heart warming humble message by his cousin.

I did not know Steve very well personally, but did run into him a few times on the Clack, Willamette, Tillamook and Larry's Sport Centers.

As I said before, he is a guy with a great attitude, and I looked at him bigger than life back then, and I was a nobody and he still gave me some precious time of his in his very busy schedule. I have a lot of respect for Steve and wish him well as I do with anyone in a time in need.

If any type of ifish card is going to get circulated for him, I would love to put my .02 cents on it even though he probably wouldn't recognize me by name.

Dan

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
By the way, I will send a link to this thread to Brad & Larry Schoenborn who knew and probably fished with Steve and hopefully they will send it to Guy Schoenborn who suffered a tragic car accident in his newer home state of Montana earlier this year.

I'm sure they heard about it by now, but can read what some friends and customers said about him.

Dan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts