IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i got my first steely on the north santiam. was small right at 24 inches. got it on a orange glitter corky, no yarn. shortly after i landed a small chinook prob about 8 lbs..what a fun hour of fishing. 3 years of skunk finally off

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fished around north santiam state park. well grant its all part of becoming a complete angler..laughs...gotta learn as many ways as possible to catch one feeeeesh. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
wolfhunter, I totally agree. I flyfished strictly for 10 years. Picked up spincast and baitcast rods for the first time this winter. I love them all. One exception, ocean fishing. Maybe in another lifetime. Just don't have the stomach for it. Yep, i've tried all the cures-forget about it. Still looking for my first take home steelie or salmon from a baitcast or spin. Congrats. on yours.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Way to go Wolfhunter!!! The skunk is off. I've been up guiding the North Santiam for the last ten days and those steelies have been hard to get on flies so far. See you on the river.

Rich

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rich...went out with the fco gang, up to franks, and we went spey roddin, we fished it for about 4 hours, and no one got a take not even dwight with his cast to the shore. :depressed: (, i even tied a blind eyed dunt, and nothing. that river is anti fly. why why why.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Pete, Hang in there and keep trying. North Santiam steelhead do grab flies. As we get into July and river warms up they will start moving to a fly. For now try a type 3 sink tip or a 200-300 grain sink-tip with a Purple Articulated Leech and go knocking on their door!!

Rich

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rich, this is john, I have been tring to get ahold of you but havn't had the time. But I was at the South Santiam and hooked into about a 14lb steelhead on a size 10 elkhair caddis, what a great fight. But Wolfhunter, I was in the same hoot you were with fly just try and stick to it now that you know it's easy to hit a few on the drift with corkey it will be hard not to keep from grabing that along with the fly rod. If your looking for some awesome spots for wither runs that produce fish fairly easly then shoot ma an e-mail [email protected] and I'll send ya a few and we may be able to hook up......

Peace out, John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts