IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all my Ifish friends. While I certainly realize that steelheading with spinners is not myth...I thought more people would respond if they were up in arms!!!

I would really like to hear some techniques, recommended river conditions, spinner sizes etc etc. I've never tried spinners on steelhead...or salmon for that matter...and thought I would seek some Ifisher sage advice!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm a novice also , But I got my first spinner; steelhead on a blue fox #4 metalic blue spinner casting up stream and reeling slowing leting it tic the bottom every now and then. The water color was steelhead green. I also put a Gamakatsu siwash hook on instead of the treble. Hope this helps a little....Ross

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FH...did you add lead? What about swivels? Did you tie directly to the main line?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
spinners dont work for anything :grin:

we use blue fox #4 in chartreuse, green, red, and pink. put a 1/0 siwash on them cast up stream into the fast water and reel down stream so it flutters, sometimes the fish will take it on the down stream swing. when they do take it there is no douubt you got bit, they hammer em. good luck and ask any questions, im sure my wife could answer all them for you. it' all she uses

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I don't use lead and I just tied on to the spinner, I have the pink and chartreuse blue fox in size #4 But never caught a steelhead on them Not sure if they are the right colors, although the slivers love them. I also put a drop of smelly jelly Craw/Anise on the hook....Ross

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Think pocket water. They swing on flats pretty well. But that single fish lying behind a rock is money in the bank.

Steelies do hit them very hard at times, but once in a while they just pick it up and everything stops. If you don't set the hook there and now, you will miss them. They tend to do this in bigger runs and out in the flats. The ones in pocket water usually grab it pretty hard.

Good Luck.

Mark and the size 4 1/2 dog.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GREAT INFO...MANY MANY THANKS! I'm off to Sportsmans Warehouse to buy spinners!

Gary

·
Registered
554 Posts
#3 blue foxes in the summer. #4 or #5 in the winter. my most successful colors have been metallic blue or green. #4 seems to work better when the water is lower and clearer. I tie directly onto the line and leave the trebels on. I've only had one fish spit the hook. The take is a no brainer. You'll know when they grab it. Every once in awhile, it may feel like you are stuck on a rock. It doesn't hurt to set the hook in some cases bc I have caught a few that way. The trebel is nice bc I usually have them hooked with two of the hooks.....less likelihood to come unbuttoned. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Has anyone caught a steelhead on the pink or chartreuse #4 blue fox? Or should I not waste my thime with those colors, and stick to the Slivers with those colors....Ross

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I love using spinners for summer steelhead. It's in my top three choices of offerings during the summer.
Replace your trebles with Siwashes. A siwash hook will give you a much deeper hookset in the fishs' mouth. Two or three hooks aren't always better than one. Trebles don't set as deep. After running an experiement this summer, I changed EVERY spinner and spoon I own to siwash hooks.
My dad used to catch steelhead on spinners during the winter. He did well on red spinners. Oh, I almost forgot, my dad caught a winter last year on a gold Bud's spinner, and I had a fish chase a blue bodied, silver flasher, spinner last winter.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
A friend of mine has caught hundreds of winter fish on Three Rivers with #4 brass Bud's, usually no weight and with an upstream cast as was mentioned before. I personally prefer brass on sunny or bright days and nickel or even better yet silver on cloudy/dark days.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Ive caught quite a few native steelhead on the Sandy with the Buds spinners, they dont seem to be quite as effective as the blue fox spinners but they do work quite well.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Gary like what Dave said, get and read the Jed Davis book. Lots of good info. And dont go too crazy buying premade spinners, you can build a superior product for less than 1/2 the price with just a pair of needle nose pliers. Since we have a new sponser who is absolutly great and you probably could get to his shop in 30 min or so. Go check him out and get some info, it used to be cheaper to buy from him web site than going into the shop, but to get some real knowledge he is a good one.http://www.**************.net/
Call to get his hours, I think he is still closed on Wednesday and is open to 4pm.
MM

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've bought a huge quantity of PenTac spinner making components and spent countless hours fabricating silver, gold, and copper spinners of various sizes. To me, they're not as easy to make, using two pliers...can get a little dangerous, especially if you use a little heavier gauge wire. The spinner making tool definitely makes the finish-off easier, but at a handsome price tag!

In the end I think the Blue Fox spinners are superior in quality and in fish-catching ability. The only drawback with them is that they're not heavy enough to get down to the bottom. The choice between the treble and the Siwash is always a dilemma, but I generally choose the treble when I'm desperate for a hookup and I go with the Siwash in a snaggy riffle.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So, I'm not exactly clear on this. You cast it upstream, and reel it but how fast? Do I reel it fast enough to make the blade spin, or just fast enough to keep it off the bottom?
-KooK

·
Registered
163 Posts
David J, I have read that book and agree, it gives you quite a bit of insight. It also gave me some things I apply to regular drift fishing such as water temp in relation to colors and spooking fish. WHile I prefer to drift rather than use spinners, it is a good book to read if you are considering becoming more involved with spinner fishing.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
North Coast Kook, cast upstream above where you think the fish are lying. If that is almost straing upstream that is ok. In fact, a huge percentage of my bites with spinners has been casting straight upstream and reeling straight back to the boat.

As soon as your spinner hits the water, beging reeling just fast enough to feel your blade spin. It will probably be a pretty fast retrieve. In fast water I have been seen reeling as fast as I can.

I usually lay my rod on it's side with the tip pretty close to the water to keep the spinner close to the bottom. If you can imagine your spinner about 6 inches off of the bottom you are in the zone.

My favorite spinner is the old #4 or #5 "BUD" spinner in Gold or Silver.

I have had many fish secretly chase the spinner back to the boat and take it as I am trying to lift it out of the water. There is nothing anyone can do to prepare you for this, just bring extra underwear. :grin:
:grin:

Good luck. Grant

[ 01-07-2004, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Grant Scheele ]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts