IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if anyone has a favorite steelhead spinner for 1-3 feet of water when there are a lot of fish int the area.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
metalhead spinners from wyld edge outfitters are the best ones i have used hooks and spin easily in even very slow speeds.. far superior to any other spinner i have fished.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Depends on water clarity, temp, fish's mood. If you want to be a great spinner fisherman, get Jed Davis's book. An oldie, but a must-have for spinner guys.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
listen to drift kink . he is right #3 blue fox silver blade blue bell is money ........

luke

·
Registered
462 Posts
#3 Blue fox - Black body/Chartreuse tipped silver blade
- Blue body/Silver blade

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input are there anymore suggestions out there? and this time of year i only fish spinners. bait is for june when the fish are fresh, at least where i fish. they wont even touch bait now. it is a small area with tons of fish so spinners work well.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
thanks for the input are there anymore suggestions out there? and this time of year i only fish spinners. bait is for june when the fish are fresh, at least where i fish. they wont even touch bait now. it is a small area with tons of fish so spinners work well.
1/4 oz green roostertail

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mepps see-best just use the color size chart on the back, works great. My personal favorite is green body brass blade and green sticker.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are there any spinners that run like 1-2 feet down. like maybe a different blade that keeps them higher. because most of my spinners i have to reel faster than i want to or have to keep my rod tip up preventing me from getting a good hookset. i will keep the other in mind and do use some of them but sometimes it just takes that little something different. thank for the replys so far.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
You got that right. I have caught more fish on Mepps See Best spinners than anything else. Do you have a good place to get them?

Mepps see-best just use the color size chart on the back, works great. My personal favorite is green body brass blade and green sticker.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Based on the fact that you are asking this now, I will go with summer steelhead tactics.

If you are fishing an east side stream I would go #3 Brass and Black spinners. Brass Blade, Brass Body and Black tape and tubing. Green is also good. If you have extreme sun light, go with a #3 Black Blade, Black Body Green tape and tubing.

Fishing a west side stream, we have a different strain of steelhead that are not so warm tempature tolerant. I use the same Brass and Black or green spinner in a size #3 if the weather is over cast or cloudy. If the weather is sunny, go with a #2 Black and green spinner or tarnished brass spinner. You will need a spinning rod to achieve the best action and lure control with these small spinners.

I recently fished the North Umpqua with fellow board member Tail Out swinging, For those that know the North, It is having a terrible return this year. TOS and I picked up two very nice summer steelies in the middle of the day in about 2 feet of water on the number #2 spinners. mentioned here. It was a blast.

As most who know me are aware of what spinner brand puts a roof over my childrens head, that would be what brand I used. But for those who build there own or have a fovorite My best piece of advice is to not put too much stock in body weight. Lighter spinners will take far more West side summer steelhead in low clear water than one that is over weighted.

To be fair, If i had to pick one spinner made comercially it would be a Brass steelhead by buds. It is not over weighted, plus you can cut off the tubing, soak the spinner in paint thinner to remove the coatings and then tarnish it. Buy a dozen, tarnish half of them and then work on presentation. plus they come in both #2 and #3s

Rob Brown

·
Registered
898 Posts
Rob nailed it pretty good, so has everyone else in my opinion.

Pick a stretch of water and one lure and learn it very well. If you have a spot picked out already start the morning with something bigger or brighter then scale it down. If there is a lot fishing pressure and no bites then down size or switch to another color. Change it up often move around and find the aggressive biters. This info seems simple on these posts but for the begginer this info is hard to learn and may take many years with out IFISH. Thanks Jenn

good fishing

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
This summer I bonked a lot of steelies using a size 4 Blue Fox in around 3 feet of river on the Cowlitz. Lots of moss on that river but the key was to get the retrieval going quickly. Best choice for that gin-clear water was a red blade with a purple or blue body as well as a copper/black blade with black body.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Straight Black #3 Blue fox yielded in a few summers on the clack in Early July drift fished in FAAASSSSSST shallow water. I was surprised since I always use chartruse even in the heat of the day!

·
Registered
793 Posts
I nailed a nice summer steelhead today on the wilson off of a blue fox size 3 in a pure bronze color. It was an amazing catch. I saw the fish rise off the bottom and follow it then kill it. It jumped 10 times!!! Thought I was going to lose it. Well good luck
Kris

·
Registered
441 Posts
Blue fox spinners #3 black body, black blade and blue body, silver blade.. In the winter time go to size #4 and 5 in same colors..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i didnt know they made black with blue. well i think im just gonna buy the store and take it with me one cast for every lure. im actually thinking of using un weighted river spinners since i dont have to cast far idk. it is kinda hard to find some of the good spinners.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts