IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, 4 fish in two days, that aint bad for a fly guy. But, I need your help. I got a smoker and I am going to smoke some fish tonight. Do I leave the skin on? I have a good brine sauce and I am pretty much set but I am not sure about the skin.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I generally leave the skin on and have had good success with that. You don't lose meat to sticking to the grills.

Enjoy the smoked fish!!!

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
leave the skin on. Be sure to rinse the chunks of fish in clean water after you take them out of the brine. Spray the racks with cooking spray (such as PAM) before you put the fish (skin side down) on them.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Leave the skin or take it off...Personally I take the skin off, remove the belly fat and the dark lateral line. Dry rub it with brown sugar, seasoned salt, a good sprinkling of coarse ground pepper. Glaze it before putting in the smoker...Do the pam spray thing and you are good to go.
j

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just smoke some salmon and removed the skin for the first time. I prefer to leave the skin on now. Because the meat won't stick to the grille and I think the fat on the skin helps keep the moisture in.

Enjoy your delicacy either way you wind up chosing. :dance:

G

·
The bellies are the best part. Leve the skin on as the oil glands under the skin give the fish a better flavor.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Leave the skin on. I've learned that it helps stop sticking if I use a wire brush and a stream of water to remove the scales and slime from the fish before chunking it up, or do it over the side of the boat before cleaning. After brining and rinsing I set the chunks skin side down on paper towels for 5mins. or so, that helps to remove any extra slime.

Smj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts