IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a question I hope you guys can help me with. What scents work the best for you guys for steelhead? Ive been told shrimp and roe scent work good, so I bought some, and have never once even hooked a fish using either one!! I have Smelly Jelly shrimp/anise, and Smelly Jelly Krill with salmon egg. What scents do you guys use, or do you? Do they improve your catch rates?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you're fishing for hatchery fish, I find that all those will help out some, that and squid paste. If you're fishing for wild fish, I'd save your dollars and scents and go without...you won't need it, and then you'll have it for next summer's hatchery steelhead, or fall salmon.

Fish on...

Todd

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
For plugs I like Mike's Lunker Lotion in shrimp or anise. For marinating my shrimp I use various combinations including pro-cure anise plus, pro-cure shrimp/prawn, sticky liquid crawdaddy, sticky liquid anise craw, or pro-cure squid.

·
Patriot
1,837 Posts
Although scents do help, I use shrimp scent religously for steelhead. You can be using too much scent. I normaly use a drop (on the yarn) of my corkey & yarn drift rig, on plugs just 2 drops & smear it on every surface of the plug. If using herring I will marinade them over night in a brine with some anise oil. 1 other tip, put in their face and they will ablidge you. Good luck.

Whats up Starfish!!!!!!

Ive got a question I hope you guys can help me with. What scents work the best for you guys for steelhead? Ive been told shrimp and roe scent work good, so I bought some, and have never once even hooked a fish using either one!! I have Smelly Jelly shrimp/anise, and Smelly Jelly Krill with salmon egg. What scents do you guys use, or do you? Do they improve your catch rates?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
for summers garlic is my go to, winters more shrimp, but I do run garlic in the winter if my shrimp isnt producing.

Another thing to do with garlic is rubbing a little pro cure garlic plus on your hands, takes care of the human odors and makes your hands smell like you have been making some tasty italian food.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I always use Mike's Shrimp Oil. No gels or lotion here just plain old oil. This has always worked for me for both summer and winter fish on my drifting gear and when pulling plugs.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I am usually more concerned about scents stopping a bite to the point that I rarely use them. Last thing I want to do is ruin a nice fresh shrimp/prawn/roe bait with an artificial scent. The only scent that I use with confidence for steelhead is WD-40.....and that is on flatfish for summers in the Columbia. I have had enough good seasons and comparison opportunities to solidly tell you that WD-40 on a lure will help it out fish an un-oiled lure by about 2 to 1. I don't know if it covers my scent or the plastic of the lure or if it is an attractant,but it works!

Salmon is another story....I have had success with anise & krill drenched baits.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Krill, sandshrimp, anise, Dr Juice:meme:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bought some Pro Cure Shrimp Oil (Ghost Shrimp) one day and took it out with me. Forgot to use it half the day, no hits. Used it after lunch, and hooked 3. Coincidence...water...who knows, but I have faith in that oil now.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I personally use the mikes shrimp, anise, crawdad and salmon roe gel scents but a well known guide who is mentioned on this site alot and probably one the best in these parts swears on garlic scent so gonna have to add to my arsenal

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am usually more concerned about scents stopping a bite to the point that I rarely use them. Last thing I want to do is ruin a nice fresh shrimp/prawn/roe bait with an artificial scent. The only scent that I use with confidence for steelhead is WD-40.....and that is on flatfish for summers in the Columbia. I have had enough good seasons and comparison opportunities to solidly tell you that WD-40 on a lure will help it out fish an un-oiled lure by about 2 to 1. I don't know if it covers my scent or the plastic of the lure or if it is an attractant,but it works!quote]

I'm with Hogtide. WD40 is all I use, if any. However, I'm a firm believer it's not the WD40 that is attracting fish. WD40 acts as a scent blocker for our human scent the fish don't like.

I spray down my hands with it before any touchy touchy.

For salmon fishing I do the same and spray down my plug cut herring as well.:twocents:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.