IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the small hot shots work as well for steelhead as they do Springers? I was thinking of pulling some from the guide shop down, anyone had any luck with plugs on that stretch? I usually use blue or green paterns. Any favorite you would like to share?? :food: I love catching fish on plugs and puttin my boat to good use. THANKS CODY :smash: :cheers:

· Registered
190 Posts
Just how small of Hot Shots are we talking? 40's, 50's?

I've used 40's with some success in super clear water with slow flows..never tried a 50 or a 70 series, but guess it could do the trick...but my thinking is that the plug is supposed to threaten or irritate the bejesssus out of the fish so he slams it...that little bitty Hot Shot ain't gonna worry him much .........but ...............well, I never say never!

Mike

· Registered
779 Posts
IF you do a search I did a post on this a few weeks ago. I was given alot info on size, color and brands people liked best. Lots of good info. If you can't find it let me know I should be able to locate it for you.

Cartman

· Registered
1,148 Posts
Amazingly, my best steelie success on plugs has come from 1 simple pattern: silver with a fl. red bill. Hotshots in this color are consistently #1 for me and my friends who use them.

Runners up? metallic pink or the blue pirates.

Keep it simple, catch fish ( and save some $)

DFD

· Registered
779 Posts
I casted them from the bank the other day. Took some getting used to but alot like a bass plug. Trick is to cast to the far side of a riffle let it drift into the current then as it gets out of the fast moving water reel in. this keeps the plug under the water. I used #30's in red colors and had a nice hit monday.

cartman

· Registered
2,223 Posts
I just picked up a fifty with a red bill chrome body with a little blue on the sides.....should work excellent in the clearer water.

· Registered
367 Posts
My favorite clear water plug is a size 50 metallic green hotshot. Works good. Only problem is I can't find them any more :depressed:.

If you're on a non-snaggy river you can try drift fishing them. Also works good, but is kind of spendy if you start hanging up a lot.

· Registered
3,037 Posts
to get to metallic green, I start with a silver hotshot, using a green magic marker i color a small area, wait five to ten seconds and then wipe off the excess with a paper towel, mark another area, repeat. depending on your wait time, you can vary the degree of color. I then let it cure for a few days and give it a light wash with lemon joy to remove any smell ?.
I've also done this with blue and reds. :dance:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.