IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at picking up a pair of new plug rods. I do not run plugs that often, so I am trying not to spend a ton of money on the poles, but want something that will work and last. I know that Fenwick makes a plug rod, lamiglass, loomis. The other one I was looking at was the Berkley IM7 rod in the 7'9" 1-piece 8-12. I have not been able to see one of these physically. Not sure how the taper is one it. Cabelas has these for $60. Looking for any input from all of the plug experts out there. Thanks in advance.

Joey

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I run a pair of Rainshadow 9001c plug rods. They seem just perfect at 8-17. Although for steelhead I wouldn't go any heavier. I think those Air IM7 rods are a great buy and perform well for the money. You don't need to spend a ton of money on plug rods IMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Joey, I run plugs a ton on the Cowlitz River for Summer run and Winter run Steel. I use a HSR 9000c 6-12lb for summer run, and use HSR 930c 8-15lb. Both are GL3 G Loomis 1 piece rods. These in my opinion are the finest plug rods I've ever used. Both rods work well for Silvers also, and the accidental Chinook. Guaranteed for a lifetime is also a plus.
Tony

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Loomis makes a nice rod, but they sound a bit spendy for ya( me too). Now a lot of folks may laugh( but they laugh at me anyway so who cares?) but save your money for a couple or 3 fiberglass sticks. Fenwick makes a nice rig. But they do not give them away. 6-10 or 8-12 will allow the fish to turn before the hooks start to bite, giving you better hookup percentages than a stiffer faster stick. My ultimate plug rod( have not found it yet, but if you do e-mail me) is glass and about 10-12 feet long rated 8-12.

If price is a real concern, head over to Gart sports in Beaverton and buy a couple yellow rods from Eagle Claw for 35 bucks each. I think they are "Downrigger" rods, but it is a start. I would give a stronger reccomendation, but I don't know if the reel seats and guides will hold up in the long term. The blank is perfect though. 6-10 if memory serves.

While I am on the subject, I use Tuf Line 50# for all my steelheading plug rods. This may also explain my likes of softer slower sticks. But I don't break fish off very often. And I have not lost a plug to a snag since June of last year. Something to think about the next time your favorite killer is wrapped around something on the bottom. Just rub the first 4 feet with a black marker to tone it down no matter the water conditions

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
287 Posts
OK here we go again :grin: There is only one plug rod. Go with the Fenwick FS83C, this glass rod will put any fish you hook in the boat.

[ 04-15-2003, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Fish4Fun ]

·
Registered
607 Posts
I agree totally with 2rods.. the loomis 9000c and 930 c are great rods . i have the 930, and the 981.
I just received in the mail my TH blank. he had a special for his 9000 rod for 105 dollars. my buddie and i decided to get them. they feel sweet. they are rated for 6 to 15 pound line. and i cant wait to break it in. good luck.. Th builds a great rod for about half the price of loomis. rich h. and d-man landed a hog steelie earlier this year with his new th rod i was impressed so i invested .. good luck bubba

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I like the berkely Air IM7 rod. It has just the right med/fast action for plugging for steelies. They retail for about 75.00 but I happen to have two new ones, I could part with one for say, 50.00
email me if interested.
good luck

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I also fish with Loomis rods, and as others have said, they are top notch.

However, one of my back-up rods is a Shimano Convergence, 8', 8-20lb. test (I'm pretty sure), and has good sensitivity and strength. Around $75, so it saves you some bucks.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You can also look at the St. Croix Avid Series. They have great meduium action rods that have excellent plug action. Not as much as the Loomis but kind of a medium price for a quality rod.

~steelymann~

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just another thought to ponder on plug rods. If "Glass" rods were not the best for pulling plugs, then why have most if not all of the guys who fish big money Walleye Tournaments gone back to "Glass". Same thing for a lot of the big time Bass Anglers, who throw crankbaits. A medium to medium light glass rod gives the fish time to bite down as they are turning away. This results in many more hook ups, because the fish will take the rod tip over as he spins around. The graphites are to quick to snap the rod tip back on the strike.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
For plug rods I agree; eglass - Fenwick great but too pricey - try the Whoopin Stick from Cabelas; not pretty but cheap, indestructable, and you can paint them any custom color you like. Maybe a couple red and white candy canes backing down the river - whatever tickles your fancy. And power pro a great idea for not losing gear. Salmonids are not put off by seeing line to a plug - they hit is out of anger, not generally hunger. At least that's what everybody on this board has maintained. Good luck.

[ 04-15-2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Dr Strangelove ]

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I have one of the Berkley 7'9" Med action rods. I love it. I use it for everything (I can't afford a rod for every occasion yet.) It has landed a 24.5# Springer this year while backtrolling with a Jumbo Jet and K15, and also a 18# springer while anchored with 6 oz of lead. It is a little light for the jumbo jet diver, but runs great otherwise. I also fought an oversize sturgeon on it while backtrolling. It actually did better than I thought. It has good tip action and plenty of backbone for steelies. :cheers: :grin:

My buddy fishes the Loomis HSR rods and they REALLY nice, but twice the price.

Fisherman's also has the North River plug rod for about the same price. I think it is an 8' two piece so if portability is an issue, you might check that out.

[ 04-15-2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Lured In ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts