IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to steelhead fishing and have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone use a clip or a snap at the end of there fluorocarbon leader when float fishing to quickly change jigs and save there leader length?

2. does anyone have an experience with the Okuma Celilo medium light 9'6 ?

3. How you connect your main line to your leader with a knot or swivel?

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,711 Posts
Welcome to a whole new world!

I have not used clips for steelhead, but have recently started to use them for crappie. I’m going to pick up some to try for steelhead the next time I see some.

The Celilo is a decent rod to start with. Inexpensive incase you have an “oops” moment.

Many people use a double uni knot or similar to attach mainline to leader, but I don’t seem to tie them right and have more failures that way than using a small swivel. I recently picked up some 3mm tippet rings that I’m going to give a try. I use the smaller ones a lot for fly fishing and think they would work well for steelhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Adam.H1

·
Registered
300 Posts
1. I wouldn’t recommend using a clip for attaching your jig. Get quick at tying knots, I would recommend the improved Trilene knot which has 2 wraps through the eye.

2. I haven’t used an okuma rod, but use the best you can afford. I started with a rod from Fred Meyers. A good starter rod is a Lamiglas X11 9’6”.

3. I recommend an Alberto splice knot to attach braid to mono or fluorocarbon. (If that was the question.)

-Barry

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
1. I wouldn’t recommend using a clip for attaching your jig. Get quick at tying knots, I would recommend the improved Trilene knot which has 2 wraps through the eye.

2. I haven’t used an okuma rod, but use the best you can afford. I started with a rod from Fred Meyers. A good starter rod is a Lamiglas X11 9’6”.

3. I recommend an Alberto splice knot to attach braid to mono or fluorocarbon. (If that was the question.)

-Barry
You wouldn’t recommend the clip, but have you tried them? I didn’t think I’d like them for crappie jigs, but then I tried them and my opinion changed.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Oh, and watch Rage’s YouTube channel.

Reactions: Rage

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
The problem with the clip is the jig is not going to ride in the right position. Presentation is everything when jig fishing.

Inexpensive rod. Will work fine for bobber fishing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I do not use a clip to attach my jigs. They will cost you fish. Most clips that are small enough to be unobtrusive to the jig just do not hold up when you hook into something with a little weight to it or when they decide to head back to the Pacific. The cheap brass ones are only good for attaching a slinky to your drift rig or to your bobber dogging rig. I have also seen where the tabs on some of the round clips rub against some instream obstacle and pop open. Learn to tie good knots. Saving a few cents using a clip isn't worth loosing a fish. As for using them for crappies and other panfish is comparing apples and 747's never had a crappie (though fun to catch and delicious) strip drag even when using 4lb test.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You wouldn’t recommend the clip, but have you tried them? I didn’t think I’d like them for crappie jigs, but then I tried them and my opinion changed.

Others have already answered this question but a clip will affect the motion and positioning of the jig. With the improved Trilene knot you can ‘cock’ the jig so it’s riding level in the water, should be parallel with the river surface, head of jig pointing upriver.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Others have already answered this question but a clip will affect the motion and positioning of the jig. With the improved Trilene knot you can ‘cock’ the jig so it’s riding level in the water, should be parallel with the river surface, head of jig pointing upriver.
That!!!!

This is the first for me to hear attaching a jig with a clip

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Yeah, but sometimes I’m hard headed and have to find out for myself. I’ve caught plenty of fish on jigs with improved clinch or trilene knots. My mind tells me that in certain conditions, the clip will give the jig more action, but not in all conditions.

If I try it and they don’t work for me, I’ll give the naysayers their credit, but if they DO work for me, I’ll just keep my success to myself and not create another (insert current trend here) craze.

Sorry to hijack the thread, we now return to our normally scheduled programming...

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I use the Fas-snap No-Knot clip, seems to work fine , my catch ratio hasn't gone down from using them, kinda nice to use on our winter river banks with cold hands and changing jig colors.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Oh, and nobody thought silly pink bass plastic worms would catch steelhead either. Haha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use the Fas-snap No-Knot clip, seems to work fine , my catch ratio hasn't gone down from using them, kinda nice to use on our winter river banks with cold hands and changing jig colors.
What size Fas-snap No-Knot clip do you use?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Oh, and nobody thought silly pink bass plastic worms would catch steelhead either. Haha

Thr thin ones are actually my bread and butter this season. Fishermens are out of em. Usually there's 4 or 5 on my tag in December but this year till like 3 weeks back I had 3 released and one keeper. The keeper didn't came out at my stomping ground but riverside....on that bass pink worm. And bout a week ago...I made up for all those releases...2 on those pink worms and 2 on nates bait. Sooner or later it happens...eventually. Don't spill the secret on worms...shhhhhh ..lol..just kiddin man..no secrets

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I am going to get this rod, glad to hear it worked for you
Oh, and my input on the rod was from experience. I liked it until I broke it trying to get a snag undone.

It should work great for you until you want to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Roady... Or that drift fishing wouldn’t......
I know!!!! I wouldn’t recommend that technique to anybody!!!

Reactions: Oregon-Jet

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you really need quick swaps without tying, maybe you could pre-tie the jigs on leader with a small barrel swivel on the end. Put a GOOD snap swivel on your main/bumper and swap at will. Not how I would do it but just an idea that will allow you to tie a proper knot at the jig to make it run right.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts