IFish Fishing Forum banner

State Record, is it or isnt it? IT IS !

3K views 96 replies 40 participants last post by  fishgirl 
#1 ·
Rumor has it that one of our very own may have caught the next State Record Shad. If it turns out to in fact be a record I will tell the story of how it ended up in my freezer and was spared the crab bait cutting board. ODFW is being contacted this AM........... Stay tuned

[ 06-23-2003, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: fishbait ]

#2 ·
According to ODFW, here is the current state record for shad:

Shad 5 lbs 13 oz 1994 Columbia River Patricia Ann Young

Let us know if there is a new record... with the fish I have seen this year, that record should be broken.

Rip'N'Lips

#3 ·
I caught one earlier this year that I thought was pretty big so I decided to weight it and it was a little over 6 pounds! I’ve got it in the freezer to prove it. Think it’s to late to defrost it and bring it in to get it checked. :smile:

[ 06-23-2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Fisherman87 ]

#5 ·
NEW STATE RECORD :shocked: :hoboy:

COULD IT BE BUT ONE MORE AMAZING CATCH FROM ONE OF OUR LOCAL FISHING HEROS??? :shrug:

COULD BE ROY...JUST COULD BE, but we're holding out until the official word is in.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE OFFICIAL RULING.

It could be hard to share a boat with a guy who is an official state record holder. I guess I'll have to :bowdown: every time we fish together.

Well if it pans out, :cheers: to the new king of the shad

#6 ·
I am sure that the state record for shad has been broken several times. It's just who weighs shad anyway. I also sure that I have caught several over the years that would have broken the record had I bothered to weigh them.

Somehow holding the state record for shad doesn't seem worth the time to weigh it and have it verified.

#8 ·
OK it's official

Official Weight: 6.03 lbs (6 lbs, 0 oz.)

Length: 22 1/2 inches

Girth: 16 3/8 inches

So here's the story, I did not know if I would get a chance to get out shad fishing with being very busy at work and spending my fishing time chasing big fat sturgeon in the Lower Columbia. I made a post and within 30 minutes got a call from Brad (Ugly Green) who was going to fish that PM with Bruce (GunRodBow) and told me to just jump in his boat. I had to work late and could not fish, but Brad said he would keep me 20 or 30 shad to re-stock my crab bait. Nest day, Brad calls and says he will stop by my office in a few hours with some shad. When he gets there we take the big bag our of his cooler and into mine it goes. I have a 100 qt cooler the perminately lives in my Tahoe. Brad mentions he got one realy nice one and asks if I might have a scale. Later that evening I am cutting up shad and stuffing 2 gal tupperware containers to go into the freezer for crab bait and I grab the big boy and get ready to cut it up. But, this is the biggest shad I have ever seen in my life and I'v been fishing shad for over 25 years. It's just too big to not weigh, so I put it in a bag and toss it in the bottom of the freezer. That's the least I could do for somebody that went out of his way to bring me some shad. Now fast forward 2-3 weeks, making room in the freezer for some more sturgeon and I decide I need to get rid of the shad. Take it to the local meat market and it weighs close to 6 lbs which is a new record, so I call Brad who is on his way back from Depot Bay and we meet up a few hours later and I give him his state record back. So, let me be the first to congratulate our very own, Brad, UglyGreen the shad master, on his new state record. Ya Ya. it's only a shad, but how many of you own a state record for any type of fish, Wish I had caught it! but anyway it makes for a good fish story.

#11 ·
Better outcome than the 33 lb (unofficial) buck Chum Salmon I caught in the Wilson. It was late on Sunday and couldn't find any official scales in Tillamook. It was leaking milt out of the gunny sack while I was dragging it around Kimmels sidewalk and the Guy in Kimmels was really getting on my case (no certified scales anyway) about keeping that ugly thing. The hardware store wouldnt let me in the door with it :depressed: .
I got frustrated and just left. Didn't think about freezing it. State record at the time was 22 lbs and change. :shrug:

#12 ·
The IGFA (International Game Fish Association), the official keepers for all the world records for game fish have a scale certification program. They realize that folks aren't frequently going to be around scales, especially in remote areas. So they do this:

Send in your scale and $15 and they'll certify it for you (or tell you that it is too inconsistent and they won't certify it).

For more info, go to .IFGA Webpage

#16 ·
Yep Yep it's all true. Our very own Ugly Green is the King of the Shadsters :bowdown: :hoboy: :bowdown:

He just came by my shop with the official ODFW form and I filled out that I witnessed this epic battle and historic event.

Here is the photo of the behemoth

It strained the official scales at 6.07 lbs

Well, probably somewhat less of a fight than the 102 lb Bluefin tuna from Hammond last year, or the 20lb winter steelhead from last year...but as you said...a state record is a state record.

WTG shadmaster
:bowdown:

We'd have never know if Steve had "shwacked" it up for bait. Thanks Fishbait.

And yes BOE, it was the one I held up to show you.

#20 ·
Aaawwwwwww shucks.... :blush:

Bruce and Steve did have to twist my arm a little bit to turn it in. I think their real motive is so that they have something to give me crap over for the rest of my life. :wink:

But it is kinda fun! :grin:

Little more on the story... BOE that was the fish we held up, Bruce (GRB) and I both thought "damn thats the biggest shad Ive ever seen" at the time, but didn't think much else of it. I threw it in with the rest of the crab bait for Steve (fishbait). Weighing it was kinda a afterthought.

I was dropping the 30 or so shad we caught at Steves office the next day. Maybe an hour or two later I called him up and said, "Hey buddy, there is one big mother of a shad in the bag I just dropped off, if you happen to have a scale handy when your cutting the bait up, weigh that sucker for me, I would be curious how big it was." I promptly forgot about it till Steve called me with the weight on the way home from Depoe Bay on Saturday. At the time we thought the standing record was something like 5.1 lbs, it is actually 5 lb. 13 oz. as someone else posted.

Turns that this fish is the new state record by 3 whole ounces. Who would have thunk it?

Anyhow the official weight is 6.03 lbs, we subtracted off the weight of the bag which was .04 lbs. Lost a lot of blood, slime, and a bit of freezer burn as well. So it was brobably a bit larger two weeks ago.

Thanks to Steve, who actually put a lot more effort into this than I did. And thanks to the manager at the Tigard Albertsons who let me use their state certified scale and witnessed the weight.

UG

One last thing.... near as I can tell, its not just a new state record, but is actually a new SHAD WORLD ALL TACKLE CLASS RECORD!.... :laugh:

#22 ·
Fishen Fool

Any good fishing story starts out with "and this aint no crap!"

To awnser your question, not so much that we had to cut loose the anchor :hoboy: like another boat fishing shad we saw.

The funny thing was that Bruce had me anchor in just about the fastest water he could find right in the middle of the channel just below the falls at Oregon City. I got sick of loosing gear on the snaggy bottom, so I put away the trout pole and whipped out the salmon pole with 30 lb Trilene on it... Went from my usual 5 lb shad leader to some 20 lb I happened to have laying around in the boat. Even then it probably took 10 minutes to drag that sucker back upstream to the boat. And that ain't no crap! :wink:

UG

[ 06-23-2003, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Uglygreen ]

#23 ·
I was there, it could have been mine :rolleyes:

Anchored a stones throw away I get to witness uglyshad er... I mean Uglygreen land the biggest recorded shad in the entire universe :hoboy:

Dont let them razz ya to much Brad, I bet most would like to be listed as the state record holder.

#24 ·
Congrats!!! Way to go UG.....you can say that you are a state record holder....that's awesome! :cheers: There are many out there who, including me, will never be able to claim that title....hehe :smile: :smile: Fishrite

#26 ·
Hey, Miss BeHaven, I did about the same thing many years ago on the Wilson. Fishing for fall hogs, I hooked a big one that put up one hell of a fight. then to my dismay when I got to to the boat, one big chum. I am pretty good at guessing weight of fish. I held this thing up for all to see and said this is a 33 to 35 Lb. chum. Wish I had keep it and had it weighed. Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.