IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Man, some of these new threads are out there.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Well, actually 50 years ago women reported horribly inappropriate behavior and nothing happened. I'd much rather have what we have today, even if it isn't perfect, then girls having to experience what they did and then be told nobody believed them and deal with it. My girl is in a much safer and better place than 50 years ago.
Arrogance and misappropriation of power has led to the downfall of many 'entitled' men. In this case the allegations that were levied had no legitimate defense and after the posturing was over essentially none was offered. He got too full of himself and paid the consequences for wielding his power and influence in a very questionable direction that harmed a woman. There is a lot of room for improvement regarding male dominance/entitlement in our society and these situations are moving the status quo in a better direction for men and more importantly for women. We are better than this. Matt really upended his apple cart, but hardly a new story line. A lot of men have ended up stepping on something they didn't intend to since women were invented.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Well, actually 50 years ago women reported horribly inappropriate behavior and nothing happened. I'd much rather have what we have today, even if it isn't perfect, then girls having to experience what they did and then be told nobody believed them and deal with it. My girl is in a much safer and better place than 50 years ago.
I wouldn't be too sure about that.
50-60 years ago guys who mistreated girls tended to get unpleasant visits from the girl's older brothers, father, uncles etc.
And as often as not, law enforcement looked the other way because they considered the young man got what was coming to him.
And they were right.

Nowadays, an older brother that raises a fist to a slimeball that mistreats his sister often goes to jail.
Because "justice" or "zero tolerance for violence" or some other BS reasoning.

Reactions: weld22

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,477 Posts
I wouldn't be too sure about that.
50-60 years ago guys who mistreated girls tended to get unpleasant visits from the girl's older brothers, father, uncles etc.
And as often as not, law enforcement looked the other way because they considered the young man got what was coming to him.
And they were right.

Nowadays, an older brother that raises a fist to a slimeball that mistreats his sister often goes to jail.
Because "justice" or "zero tolerance for violence" or some other BS reasoning.
Uhm, as a person who was a girl 50-60 years ago you are incorrect. A lot of the "problems" that girls had CAME from her father and brothers. Or dad's best friend, or an uncle, or a grandfather. Very few girls I knew had problems with strangers until they were adults. Nobody believed them when they were little and nobody believed them when they were adults.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Uhm, as a person who was a girl 50-60 years ago you are incorrect. A lot of the "problems" that girls had CAME from her father and brothers. Or dad's best friend, or an uncle, or a grandfather. Very few girls I knew had problems with strangers until they were adults. Nobody believed them when they were little and nobody believed them when they were adults.
My sister and both older brothers would argue with you about that one.
But I know nothing about the situation you were raised with, so I can't speak to that. You have my sympathies if you were mistreated by family. That's horrible.

But I know that more than one guy gave my sis plenty of respect, or at least avoidance, after their run-ins with my brothers. They weren't strangers though, they were schoolmates and/or in one case, a neighbor.
And if there had been a pervy uncle, my pops would have seen to it that he paid a steep price.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,477 Posts
My sister and both older brothers would argue with you about that one.
But I know nothing about the situation you were raised with, so I can't speak to that. You have my sympathies if you were mistreated by family. That's horrible.

But I know that more than one guy gave my sis plenty of respect, or at least avoidance, after their run-ins with my brothers. They weren't strangers though, they were schoolmates and/or in one case, a neighbor.
And if there had been a pervy uncle, my pops would have seen to it that he paid a steep price.
I was not mistreated by my family and it came as quite a shock to me when I found out families weren't necessarily safe. These were girls I knew from church, from Girl Scouts and from school. Girls from the city, girls from very rural places and girls from the 'burbs. Then I became an adult and it was all around me. I heard it and I saw it and dealt with it.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
I was not mistreated by my family and it came as quite a shock to me when I found out families weren't necessarily safe. These were girls I knew from church, from Girl Scouts and from school. Girls from the city, girls from very rural places and girls from the 'burbs. Then I became an adult and it was all around me. I heard it and I saw it and dealt with it.
Sorry you and your friends didn't have the right kind of older brothers.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
It’s dirt bags like Matt Lauer and Harvey Weinstein and Little Jeffery Epstein that give decent men a bad name. There are women who do the same thing. Some of them (Epsteins girlfriend) are finally getting their just rewards. Then there is old Bill Cosby. We know why he got off. Then there is Cuomo who got off. We know why he got off. It’s about money and power. Lastly there is the “Quid Pro Quo”bunch. All a woman and now some men have to say is that were sexually harassed in the workplace. The burden of proof is totally on the accused. What a bunch of nonsense. Been some good people accused that were totally innocent but their careers and life style was ruined. I grew up with 4 older sisters. My mother brought me up right. If I would have harmed a girl in any way my mother have not only cut body parts off but would have disowned me. This after my Dad beat the heck out of me. Ah the good old days.:) No respect anymore and very few manners. Ridiculous:(

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
It’s dirt bags like Matt Lauer and Harvey Weinstein and Little Jeffery Epstein that give decent men a bad name. There are women who do the same thing. Some of them (Epsteins girlfriend) are finally getting their just rewards. Then there is old Bill Cosby. We know why he got off. Then there is Cuomo who got off. We know why he got off. It’s about money and power. Lastly there is the “Quid Pro Quo”bunch. All a woman and now some men have to say is that were sexually harassed in the workplace. The burden of proof is totally on the accused. What a bunch of nonsense. Been some good people accused that were totally innocent but their careers and life style was ruined. I grew up with 4 older sisters. My mother brought me up right. If I would have harmed a girl in any way my mother have not only cut body parts off but would have disowned me. This after my Dad beat the heck out of me. Ah the good old days.:) No respect anymore and very few manners. Ridiculous:(
Misogynistic attitudes, sexual assaults, and bad behaviors towards women were not invented recently. I believe one could make the case the issue was more entrenched then than now. Society turned a blind eye for a long time. Society is addressing this longstanding issue better than ever as awareness increases. A very good thing. Sweeping under the rug has become harder and harder. As with everything there have been a smattering of false accusations. But women are getting treated with more equality than ever before in society, leadership positions, and in the work place. Pointing backward is a handy tool, but manners and respect are still alive and well and we are beginning to be better, not worse about how we treat women.

·
Premium Member
20,242 Posts
Misogynistic attitudes, sexual assaults, and bad behaviors towards women were not invented recently. I believe one could make the case the issue was more entrenched then than now. Society turned a blind eye for a long time. Society is addressing this longstanding issue better than ever as awareness increases. A very good thing. Sweeping under the rug has become harder and harder. As with everything there have been a smattering of false accusations. But women are getting treated with more equality than ever before in society, leadership positions, and in the work place. Pointing backward is a handy tool, but manners and respect are still alive and well and we are beginning to be better, not worse about how we treat women.
Tawana Brawley comes to mind. I would hope that women are believed when they make a charge, but there are a lot of false claims made against innocent men. How about the Rolling Stone fabrication? Title IX requiring the accused to prove they are not guilty? How about holding comment until some facts come out for a change? That seems fair for both accuser and accused.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
This is simply false.
Which part? It is easily provable that there were innocent men released from prison. Also, easily provable that women were prosecuted for false claims. You only need to google.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
This is simply false.
[/QUOTE

Really? How so? There’s also a lot of woman who moved up the corporate/job ladder with their special skills being used on idiots who weren’t thinking with their brain. This goes for both sides. If you or any one else thinks it doesn’t happen you are sadly mistaken. I’ve seen it occur more than with my own two eyes. Just sayin… :) 🇺🇸

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
blue duck cannot totally agree with parts of this statement .Specifically where you say Society had turned a blind eye for a long time on this issue. Parts of society did, not all of society. Lumping everyone together doesn’t work. And now “parts “ of society are going to extremes to address these types of issues. Last time I looked that isn’t working either. :)🇺🇸

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
blue duck cannot totally agree with parts of this statement .Specifically where you say Society had turned a blind eye for a long time on this issue. Parts of society did, not all of society. Lumping everyone together doesn’t work. And now “parts “ of society are going to extremes to address these types of issues. Last time I looked that isn’t working either. :)🇺🇸
Yup.
When you think about the VERY rich and VERY powerful people that protected Charlie Rose, Matt Lauer and Horney Harvey (and all the rest) it's enough to make you puke.
These are people that have been held up to society as virtuous examples that the peons like us should strive to emulate.

Personally, I believe the industry is corrupt and it corrupts all who get involved with it to any great extent.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts