IFish.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my clients emailed me a picture of a springer he caught in the last two days down by the St Johns Bridge in the Willamette. He said he saw someone else catch two :shrug:

I would never even dream of fishing for them down there this time of year but they are still there I guess. Probably late Clackamas fish moving through.

I have caught chrome bright springers on the lower Clackamas as late as July 7.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I can confirm the catches also! I have been working every day just beow the st johns bridge and i saw one caught this week and last week too. same 10 or so boats out each Morning, gotta figure there getting some or they woudn't be there.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I fished the bottom end of the tide on the Columbia this morning. On my way back in there were approximatly 25 boats working the area. Somethings going on????

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, they're springers. If any thing a summer run chinook would run from the Willamette water.

Summer chinook are heading to the upper Columbia drainage. The Willamette system, especially the Clackamas, gets some springers clean through July.

When I was a fish checker for ODFW I would sample at Fred's Marina and there was a handfull of regulars that chased springers into June, I don't know if they fish this late or not but they were out there in June.

[ 06-21-2003, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: David Johnson ]

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And watch out for the run of brown trout that show up every time there's heavy rain in Portland. On the news just now they just recomended no one go in the water for the next 48 hours on account of another sewer overflow.

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
Dave,

What are the best methods to target those brown trout you mention. Is there a tech tip on your website :shrug: :laugh:

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I talked to one fellow who does target Springers into July. Does pretty good, no crowds and sometimes it's pretty darn perky down there right now. No mention of hrs/fish though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure that hours/fish number is pretty low. A guy could catch a few nice fish if he really put in the time. I'd rather go somewere that doesn't take so long.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess the same cooler weather that has stirred up the bite on the smaller rivers has revived a few Willamette fish to bite.

I just thought it would be of interest, I wouldn't suggest the Willamette as a fishing destination this time of year.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
If you are targeting brown trout:: I am able to get em to show up by eating mexican food....

I have caught springers into late may/early june, but never this late.

[ 06-22-2003, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: k9jeff ]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey Dave
I see on the news the Brown's are running this weekend. Just like you said - all it takes is a little rain !!!
Bernie

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are a few springers being caught at near the falls too, I've seen them taken in the middle of July up there too.

It's just a mater of do you try them there or go were there are more fish?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Fish are there...We missed one Sunday friend missed 2 saw one boat with two keepers and one thrown back, and 5 other for 10 boats( same boats there all week) I live 5 minutes from Cathedral park ramp so is very handy... :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
To catch Brown Trout just tip you hook with charmin toilet paper. It will put the squeeze on them puppies. :grin: There you have it GRB. :grin:

For nooks think Spinners on the troll. They will work for the browns too but be sure to wash them with lemon joy after bringing one to hand. :shocked: :tongue:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts