IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow morning I am launching from Scappose Bay Marina, and heading out to the St. Helens area for summer Chinook. This will be our first time ever fishing for salmon. We are taking sturgeon gear too in case we don't get lucky with salmon (never caught a sturgeon either). I've been studying this on Ifish so I'm not totally clueless (just partially clueless!). Looking at the charts I think I will head towards areas either north or south of the mouth of the Lewis River. Tonight I will be picking up some spinners from Scott at Gent Bent tackle. If you're in the area and want to give some tips to partially clueless beginners, give me a call on channel 16. Or if you don't have a VHF radio, look for a red and white 18' Glasspar with cuddy cabin and a red top (and Ifish stickers).

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Waterfish we have the same plans as you. Sturgeon as a back up plan.

We will be launching there as well. We will be in a 18 foot Alumweld Black on Gray merc on the back. Were going to fish above the lighthouse on the Washington side. Stop by and say hey.

I will be on 16 as well. Good luck

·
Registered
17,500 Posts
Hope you find success, and hope you'll post a report tonite. Perhaps we'll see you there over the long weekend.

·
Registered
17,500 Posts
Hey Waterfish, so how many you catch yesterday?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nanook, Garyk,

Thanks for the tips and encouragement! Here is how yesterday went: We launched at Scapoose Bay, and when we got out into the Columbia, it was pretty windy. We didn't see any boats fishing out there, and we decided to cruise over to the mouth of the Lewis River. It was more sheltered there, but there was a hog line of about 6-8 boats completely across the mouth. We moved in about 100' from the hog line just to check the depth, and it was only about 7-8 feet deep. Some of you guys have been saying 12-18 feet is better, so combined with the shallower depth and the fact that there wasn't room to crowd into the hog line, we cruised upstream in the Columbia for a couple of miles, and still didn't see anyone fishing. We had been talking with another Ifisher, Small Fry, on the VHF, and he said he didn't want to fight the wind in the Columbia, so he went a few miles up into Multnohmah Channel to fish for sturgeon. That sounded like a good plan to me, so we cruised up the channel and anchored about 1/4 mile downstream from Small Fry. We didn't have any luck with our smelt, but Small Fry was catching fish on squid. He had to go in early, and he dropped by and gave us the rest of his squid. Then we began catching fish! No keepers, but we did catch 6 shakers. THANKS MUCH, SMALL FRY! These were the first sturgeon we've ever caught, and even though they were too small to keep, they were still the biggest fish my son and I have ever caught. Lots of fun! When the tide started pushing us up againt the ball at about 6:00 pm, the fish quit biting, and we knew it was time to go home. We are planning to go out again tomorrow (Saturday), but I haven't decided where yet. Scapoose Bay again, or out of Chinook landing? I know I won't go near Bonneville until I get a lot more experience anchoring. Sooner or later, maybe even this weekend, I will give Scott's (Get Bent) spinners a good work out. We beginners are envious of you guys who've been doing this for years, but somehow there is something fun about being a beginner and going through this learning curve. See you on the River!

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Waterfish I'm happy to hear they worked for you.
Sometimes you just have to keep changing bait until you find one that works.

Just think if it wasn't for this great site you may have got skunked. Like I have so many times.
Now I can holler on the radio and get hot tips while I'm on the river. It has paid off for me more than once. I have learned so much and met so many fishing folks since joining.

Thanks Jennie!!!
This is the best site on the web!!!
Good luck catching some salmon. Hope to see you on the river again sometime.

[ 07-04-2003, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Small Fry ]

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,577 Posts
Waterfish: Just because you don't see anybody fishing doesn't mean no fish. Find the parameters that have been laid out in these posts and fish it anyway. THAT'S how you find your very own honey-hole that you get to share with just yourself. :smile:

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Small Fry,

I agree with everything you said about Ifish! What a site, and it has really help on my learning curve. And what a good way to meet and learn from other fishermen (and fisherwomen).

STGrule, I know what you're saying - if it hadn't been for the wind I would have tried for salmon in the mainstem of the Columbia, other boats or not. But being so close to the relatively wind sheltered Multnomah Channel, and because I've never caught a sturgeon either, it looked like the better choice for that day. Let's see what the rest of the weekend brings...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.