IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today dear ol' dad and I decided it would be a good day to go fishing. Truth be told, I have about 14,000,000 in-laws at my house and fishing sounded a heck of a lot better than entertaining.

We left the dock at 8 a.m. and anchored up in our not-so-secret spot. I thought we were kind of shallow (in more ways than one) but we just stayed put and read Boat Trader and B.S.ed.

On a related note, I am on the Atkins diet, and my boat (thanks to my dad) is CARB CENTRAL. Pretty much the entire morning I was gumming a package of potato chips, fighting my urge to tear into the bag like a pack of hungry wolves, leaving NOTHING left. Gulping it down, plastic and all.

So far the diet is working great, and ever since I have been on the diet, I am catching fish! Go figure! Maybe Columbia River salmon can smell the carbs on me or something???

Anyway, since this is fishing board and not a "Richard Simmons Support Group" board, back to the fish.

About an hour into the trip, not seeing any action, I decided we should try something new. So I threw out a $%^&@$%^. :whazzup: With some great scent on it. I would tell you, but my pops would kill me if I told. I will tell you that we were in 45' of water and off of Bachelor Island. (If you send me a PM I will divulge the not-so-big secret) No carrot milk was used.

Still nothing. I got the cell phone and called to make an appointment to get the oil changed in my car, when I looked up. WHAMMMM!

Now, here is where I'm going to make some editorial comments. This is by no means a slam on anyone who fishes this way, but I am going to express my opinions.

We don't fish out of a fishing boat. It is a cabin cruiser we have kind of retro-fitted to suit our needs. I love Rarin' To Go, because I can have a cold water, sit down toilet with door, and take a nap down below if I want to. The only problem is netting fish is sometimes kind difficult.

For the last several trips my dad got me this great fishing pole and reel. They are both light for salmon, which makes the fight really, really fun. The only problem is, you get the salmon to the boat and you just can't control them with the light tackle. (At least I can't)

Today I was using my monster gear...big huge reel, monster sturgeon pole, and let me tell you, netting and getting the fish went about 100% easier than using the light tackle. I understand why some of you use it...cool...but for me, I only go out on weekends so I don't want to lose the few fish I have an opportunity to catch.

Anyway, got the fish in the boat and brought it home.

When I was cleaning it I noticed a few weird things. Not being a seasoned fisherman, I thought I would ask you guys some questions.

First off, this baby was chrome. I thought for this late in the season we would be targeting red 'ol tules...is this normal?

Secondly, when I cleaned this silver bullet, it didn't have a single egg in it. What is the story there? I thought the males had that weird looking jaw?

Thoughts?

In a sad note, I had to turn down a trip to the rock pile for Sunday because as you will see behind me in that pict, there is a HUGE pile of barkdust with my name all over it.

Tight lines

Chacal

[ 09-27-2003, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Chacal ]

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
There has been quite a few chromers coming out. Let me take a guess on why there wasn't any eggs, it was a buck? :shrug:

Nice job on the fish..........

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
:dance: Way to go Pat :dance:

That fish looks like a buck, it has a little hook in its jaw... when they are real fresh and bright like that it is hard to tell sometimes. As far as the quality of fish there are a lot of chrome fish around right now, in fact almost all the tules should be gone about now!

Way to go :cheers:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Glad your %[email protected]#*^&[email protected]^ worked out for you. If every one had one of those on board, I bet the fishery would be in trouble. See you during springer season, I'll be the boat at @#%$^&@%# fishing in %^$#%$ feet of water using @#$%%@$ with a #$%# foot dropper and &*%$%$# lead line :cheers:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Lookin' a lot skinnier there, Chacal! Keep up the Atkins --- 62 pounds for me, still off nearly 6 years later. :dance:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Great story...Beutiful fish :cheers: Did you notice sperm sacks?? Can i say that?? :shrug: Anyway... My wife loves yard work...I'm very lucky :smile:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
733 Posts
i must have missed something... was that a >^&(% or a >^!#@ luhr. ive got both.. joco

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Yeah, that's a buck for sure, but for the record, while the hook nose is a good way to tell, if you can't wait till cutting it open, another way is by the length of their nose, compare that buck for instance to this hen 5-cents caught the other day...
Hope this helps, TOC

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Good job!!! your turning into a fishing machine!!!!

Adkins and the boat do not mix,, I have a hard time out there eating cheese sticks.... Thank god for for cigars.... :bowdown:

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
Nice job Chacal! :cheers: TOC hit the nail on the head (no pun intended :grin: ) with determining sex by the length of their nose. Sometimes I still get fooled though when you have no other fish to compare to. Congrats again!

:dance: -jokester

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:blush:

um, yeah, a buck.

I guess they wouldn't swim too well with a couple of big ol...ahem...hanging off the back now would they?

Heh.

I was going to modify the photo to show some, well, male attributes, but I didn't think that Jennie would approve. :grin:

Oh, and the #$%@& was a kwikfish.

Believe it or not...

Good luck out there...

Chacal

·
Registered
327 Posts
WELL god bless you chacal and clown.... once again my theory came true....even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.... sincerely droughting in colorado steve..... :shocked: :grin: :shocked: :grin:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by big n bright:
way to go ND's

So when are you buying that sled?

Bobby
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I don't know Bobby, I have caught four fish in a month! That is about one a trip!

Instead of changing boats, I might just get a truck that can pull my monster...

Chacal.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Nice fish Chacal. Carrots are a good alternative to potatoe chips, right?

Glad to hear you got one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts