IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fly guy... dont hate me... :)

I have an idea what to do when chasing SRC's..

My brother in law is a gear guy.. and I have no idea what to tell him to bring...

please help me help him. ;)

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I Was Wondering The Same Thing .
Spring River C???????????

Not Sure ??

Luke

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am assuming Sea Run Cutts. Roostertails and other similar inline spinners, or free floating a whole nightcrawler or crawdad tail, sometimes with a small split shot for deeper runs. Use to catch bullheads on lower coastal rivers, skin them, cut body into chunks, and fish like a peeled crawdad tail, cutts ate it up, and bait lasted for several fish.

BA

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sorry...

Sea Run Cutthroat.

thanks in advance!

·
Banned
166 Posts
Just my 2 cents but if your fishing in a catch and release only fishery I think most would agree that the use of bait tends to do more harm and the fish tend to take the bait much deeper resulting in more harm/death to the fish. Barbless hooks are also better in these fisheries.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Just my 2 cents but if your fishing in a catch and release only fishery I think most would agree that the use of bait tends to do more harm and the fish tend to take the bait much deeper resulting in more harm/death to the fish. Barbless hooks are also better in these fisheries.
I would totally agree...... small spoons and spinners with single barbless hooks...... no reason to deap throat a cutt if it's C&R fishery onlyl...... have fun and treat all SRC's with the upmost care....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks fellas...

Utmost care is my number one priority..

I might even convert him to a fly...

one can only hope. :)

thanks again!

·
Banned
417 Posts
Living on one of those coastal cutthroat rivers. I would have to say with the water temperature climbing into toxic at this point the best option would be go fish the Clackamas River above Estacada for some nice resident trout living in fairly cool water and leave the coast alone until we see some serious rain, about October.

Having fished for this run of fish for the better part of 35 years and living in the area that I do water temperatures and the algea bloom are a serious issue for not only the trout species but also the wild steelhead, coho and others that are rearing in many of the larger holes that attract fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts