IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunted Tygh Valley area for elk 2 years ago and seen 9 large bucks so my sons and I applied for a buck tag this year, went scouting and seen nice bucks in several areas, went to a nice spot, opening morn we heard a shoot, then another from over the hill, I thought cool there are bucks in the area, then 22 fire, then big bore (shot gun) it sounded like a war zone, we took a drive after not even seeing a doe and saw 15 vehicals, all Toyotas, with 4-5 asian people in each hunting squirrels, I don't have a problem with folks hunting game but why does squirrel season open on a rare buck hunt??? Thanks ODFW.
The good news is with bullets buzzing by we moved and my son bagged a nice 3 pt, his first.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Report those asians to the White River Management personnel or State Police. I turkey hunt over there and they have said that is a real problem. They not only show up in big groups, but shoot a lot more than squirrels.

Congrats to your boy on a nice buck:cheers:

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I don't have a problem with folks hunting game but why does squirrel season open on a rare buck hunt??? Thanks ODFW.
Not dealing with the asian issue, if there is a illegal activity that should be dealt with, but going to your general question.
How is someone hunting squirrel different than grouse, quail, fall turkey, or any other small game season which happens to overlap with a big game season?

I'm an archery hunting and I have to share the woods with loud shotgun carrying grouse, quail, high, etc, hunters. I deal with it and enjoy my time in the woods. Why do you feel rifle deer season should be any different.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My real point here is Oregon Dept. Fish & wildlife should have made squirrel season a week later, this is a special early hunt only two weeks long, I had no problem sharing the woods that's why we packed camp and went to another area, not to mention all of the 22 ammo flying through the woods!!!

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
Go talk to Josh he manages the area and tell him you concern ,I would and I will next time I see him :shocked::shocked::shocked:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Not dealing with the asian issue, if there is a illegal activity that should be dealt with, but going to your general question.
How is someone hunting squirrel different than grouse, quail, fall turkey, or any other small game season which happens to overlap with a big game season?

I'm an archery hunting and I have to share the woods with loud shotgun carrying grouse, quail, high, etc, hunters. I deal with it and enjoy my time in the woods. Why do you feel rifle deer season should be any different.
The only reason I mentioned the asian thing is because the GMU manager that pulled up to talk with me mentioned that there were a large group of ASIANS that frequented the White River GMU and shot anything that moved and to be careful if I saw them. They were suspected of poaching deer, turkeys, woodpeckers and anything else they could draw a bead on.

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
"Big game" hunting tends to weed out folks who aren't willing to invest the time and money to hunt big game, thus fewer numbers of hunters. Just like elk hunting weeds out a lot of people who don't like the (hopefully) snowy weather associated with elk hunting.

Anybody and his cousin can buy a 22 and blast away at squirrels with cheap ammo. So, yes, I think squirrel season ought to be timed to not screw up big game hunts (rifle or bow).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts