IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it exists, but can it be purchased retail? I want a few pieces, 4" square and 6' long, to serve as rod tubes.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
floatnfish, I'm curious why square? I'm thinking because they won't roll around. Correct? Any other reason? a note: I think its important to limit the amount of space in a tube so the rod won't move around much or at all inside the tube. I think I fractured a rod that I had in a tube by it getting tossed around inside the tube. So I'm trying to think of what I can do to limit that. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Check fencing companies. Around here vinyl fencing is very popular, and it comes in 4" squares tubes (for the posts).

To keep the rods from beating themselves up too much, wrap them in a rod sock.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Go to Home depot or Lowes. They have the PVC fence posts in either 4" or 6" sizes. Cut the decorative top off,and they should be just what you're looking for.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes cully, so it won't roll around. I have a shorter Abel square PVC case that I got on the cheap, and its great, but too short for spey rods. Those things are way too expensive new, so square PVC seems like the ticket. I always pack my rods into their socks first, then into the case. Did your problem occur with rods loose, or in the bag?

edited to say "THANKS" for the replies

[ 09-23-2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: floatnfish ]

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
floatnfish, I think my rod bread ( or fracture, then broke while casting) was due to to much free space in the rod tube. The rod would clang back and forth and up and down. Just to much free roaming. Any ideas on creating a rod sock? I now have a foot stocking both on the bottom and top of tube so the rod can't move up or down without padding but it would be nice to have something like a full rod sock. I've never seen a full rod sock at Gijoes,Sportsmans etc.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i cut pieces of foam pipe insulating and put around the rod to keep from getting beat up in a rod tube

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the socks that I use are the normal ones that come with fly rods. Usually my wife makes them out of whatever fabric, with dividers to keep the sections apart like this

1 - 9 of 9 Posts