IFish.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of building a square-ender drift boat (aka Rapid Robert).

I'm looking to put a motor on it. The few people that I have talked with that have this boat use a 15hp 2-stroke. I'd like to get a 4 stroke motor but I'm concerned about the extra weight on the rockered boat. It's about a 30lb difference. The boat is not as rockered as it's more common cousin but it does have some curve to it.

Does anyone out there have this style of boat that could advise me on this and other set up questions?

SF

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I have a rapid Robert I built myself out of Aluminum. My cousin has on just like it and one season
he used a small outboard. I am looking for a pair of Oars for mine. I lost one on the Necanicum last
winter when I hung up on an overhanging bush. That was above the Spruce tree.
As far as a motor is concerned I have thought about mounting an Electric on the bow using a remote. There are features about the RR that a motor just doesn't seem right for. But If I were going to put one on mine I would make the rear seat adjustable. These boats are amazing in
technical water. I have done the upper Clack from Fisher's mill to Roaring river and never hit a rock. I have also done the Clear Creek on the Clackamas in the January high water. The boat was made for that kind of action. My cousin runs his RR on the Wilson above and below the Narrows.
I have often thought having a motor would be a good thing while fishing alone. I had to drop my oars only to miss a fish on the Necanicum and that's why I ended up losing my favorite Coffee thermus.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you really like the design. Considering they are not that popular, it is always good to hear that.

My main purpose for the motor is to use it for lake fishing and duck hunting on bigger water. It will also be nice for ferrying upriver. I want to maximize the versatility of the boat. As a result, I'm trying to get the biggest motor it can handle. I just don't want to put too much weight on so it just plows the water.

SF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts